Sexting: Know the Facts | Teen Ink

Sexting: Know the Facts MAG

By Katie Bachman BRONZE, Auburn, New York
Katie Bachman BRONZE, Auburn, New York

High-tech has created a new low. The term “sexting” is a combination of the words sex and texting, and refers to the practice of sending sexually ­explicit photos electronically, mainly by cell phone. The incidents of sexting have dramatically increased in the past few years; 20 percent of teens said they had sent a sexting message, according to a 2008 study commissioned by the National ­Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy and Cosmogirl.com. Though many in our generation are taking part, few understand the serious consequences of this irresponsible fad.

Recent advances in technology have revolutionized the way we interact socially. Cell phones and e-mail have changed the way we communicate but have led to dangerous and ­destructive behavior. While some teens may think sexting is fun or harmless, this new craze can have devastating consequences. When a photo or video is sent to another person, privacy is lost forever. The content can be broadcast to anyone. The original sender has no control once he or she presses “send.”

The consequences of sexting can be ­severe, ranging from embarrassment to ­imprisonment or worse. Explicit photos or videos forwarded from person to person can cause embarrassment for the original sender. Many teens don’t realize that once they hit “send,” control of who else sees that compromising photo is now completely up to the recipient. You may think you know your friend, boyfriend, or girlfriend, but can you trust them forever?

Many young people who thought sexting was a harmless game ended up having their lives destroyed. In one tragic incident, Jesse Logan, an 18-year-old from Ohio, was mercilessly humiliated after explicit photos she had sexted to a boyfriend ended up circulating among her peers. She eventually killed herself.

Imagine being convicted of the crime of child pornography and serving five year’s probation. You are rejected by colleges, lose your friends, and have to move because your home is too close to a school. You’re unable to get a job, and you have to register as a sex ­offender until you are 43. That’s exactly what happened to Phillip Alpert, a Florida 18-year-old. He ruined his life by circulating nude pictures of his girlfriend (which she had sent him), by texting them to his friends, her friends, and her family. The legal problem: she was only 16 and a minor; distributing explicit photos of a minor constitutes child pornography. The real problem: like many teenagers, he did not understand the long-term consequences of his actions.

Sexting may seem like harmless fun, but teens should think twice before hitting the “send” button. There is no turning back once a message is sent.

audi.elle.29 said...
on Nov. 1 2010 at 5:22 pm
A girl in my school sent a sext to her boyfriend, and guess what? Every single person saw it. The male principle, every teacher, everyone!

on Oct. 21 2010 at 3:10 pm
redhairCat PLATINUM, Pebble Beach, California

"I can do anything!"

I'm glad!

Dimples said...
on Oct. 21 2010 at 1:57 pm
obviously.

on Oct. 21 2010 at 1:49 pm
horsegirl27 GOLD, Los Angeles, California

A dog comes when called; a cat takes a message and gets back to you

excuse me!!!! i have *NEVER* sexted before!!! and i never plan too either!!!

on Oct. 21 2010 at 1:48 pm

wow...thanks

on Oct. 20 2010 at 10:17 pm

"I can do anything!"

That is no excuse! Not everyone has sent out a sext message. Those people are lucky (and smart). For those who have - well, they need to read this article!

on Oct. 20 2010 at 9:27 pm
amberglow13 SILVER, Tulsa, Oklahoma

"Always remember that you are unique--just like everybody else."

Well said. We've got to just try our best to stay out of these things and leave whoever got caught in them to their own devices.

on Oct. 20 2010 at 9:23 pm
amberglow13 SILVER, Tulsa, Oklahoma

I agree. Are you sure this person is your friend. I would avoid them.

on Oct. 20 2010 at 9:21 pm
amberglow13 SILVER, Tulsa, Oklahoma

you're saying that like you don't like this article, when it's very good and truthful. the author is against sexting. you knew that, right?

on Oct. 20 2010 at 5:26 pm
Dragonscribe BRONZE, West Lafayette, Indiana

"A Person's a Person no Matter how Small"
and
"A Rose by Any Other Name Would Smell as Sweet"
and
"God helps those who help themselves"

I think you had plenty of reason to be scared. I don't your friend is acting like I friend at all.

on Oct. 20 2010 at 5:24 pm

and
and
"God helps those who help themselves"

I am sorry you feel that way. While of a picture or two of yourself in a pose you think makes you look pretty, or in a new dress, or something of that sort is okay - as long as you're not nude or anything sick like that - sexting is extremely dangerous and very wrong. Do you really have to reveal yourself to your boyfriend in order to entice his love? If he really loves you, he will love with all of your clothes on, and no matter how you look. Sexting is needy and pathetic, and I hope you reconsider.

on Oct. 20 2010 at 5:20 pm

and
and
"God helps those who help themselves"

I completely agree with this. Even if you can trust the receiver of sext message, do you really want to be the sort of person who has to reveal themselves in order to feel beautiful? It's really just needy and pathetic.

Please check out my work!

on Oct. 20 2010 at 1:18 pm
Mandytakara BRONZE, St. Helens, Oregon

“To live everyday like it’s the last, looking forward to the next, to believe you can and you will accomplish the goal in which you strive for,”
~Amanda Lynn Takara

wow this is so true. i think that teens that do these types of things have no lives :P

on Oct. 20 2010 at 7:13 am
Brea_Bloodbath BRONZE, Eustis, Florida

Get on your knees!

lol

on Oct. 20 2010 at 2:42 am
amicrazyorisitjusteveryoneelse PLATINUM, Kula, Hawaii

"Everything you dream is real and everything real is a dream"

Wow, that was a mistake... I feel so stupid now.  Great article, wish I had gotten to it earlier...

on Oct. 20 2010 at 2:37 am

true that oiugkjgsdrjksalddkrj

Dimples said...
on Oct. 15 2010 at 2:28 pm
Dont even get me started on this article. "sexting"? What the heck is that? I think that sexting is a waste of time. You never know who can see those photos you send to others. They can show their friends or post your photos on the internet. Sexting is the most stupidest thing that has ever been invented.

qwerty said...
on Oct. 15 2010 at 2:23 pm
The author writes "Many teens don’t realize that once they hit “send,” control of who else sees that compromising photo is now completely up to the recipient. You may think you know your friend, boyfriend, or girlfriend, but can you trust them forever?" I absolutely agree with this, you can NEVER trust anyone! By sending a risky "sext message" like this you are putting yourself at a high risk of embarrassment towards yourself.

alixgirls said...
on Oct. 15 2010 at 1:57 pm
I believe sexting is the dumbest idea ive heard. ive never done it and dont plan to. whoever is embarrassed is also responsible for their problems afterwards

on Oct. 1 2010 at 9:19 am
sa;dlkjrrasdl;fjhsdarklajsdfbsadfjsdrhsdklrjgdshgsdrlskdj