“I Wear Your Granddad’s Clothes:” The Evolution, Hows, and Whys of Thrift Stores | Teen Ink

“I Wear Your Granddad’s Clothes:” The Evolution, Hows, and Whys of Thrift Stores

By AmbiguousB SILVER, Alta Loma, California
AmbiguousB SILVER, Alta Loma, California

"There is no sun without shadow, and it is essential to know the night" -Albert Camus

I’ve been poppin’ tags way before Macklemore started singing about it.

THE EVOLUTION:

Thrift stores’ recent popularity is a slap in the face to the crocheted-sweater, zebra-print-dress wearing younger me. Years ago I would have never admitted to, let alone write a whole article on, going to thrift stores (although it was probably VERY obvious that I did). I grew up on Saturday morning thrifting trips, not by choice, but because a single mom with two kids doesn’t have the cash to spend $40 on pants that will be too small in less than a year. Unlike now days, the “alternative” look didn’t do you anything--sparkly brand name shirts were the only way to go. All throughout elementary school I was an outcast among my posh Justice wearing peers.

The fault here isn’t that of the thrift stores, however. My prior novice thrifting skills are the main culprit; thrifting is an artistry that one must acquire with time. It involves being in touch with your inner self and style, knowing what constitutes a good or bad deal, and having enough confidence to rock. that. sh*t. I was lacking these very essential elements growing up, and what resulted was complete disaster... 

I blame it partially on my novice thrifting skills, and partially on the early 2000’s.

As much as my past haunts me, I have ascended from novice to hardcore thrifter. I bought tag-still-attached birkenstock style sandals for $8, found an $4 thrasher hoodie for my brother, and flex in my navy polka dot pants for $3. Although I hate the extent to which the “thrift store style” has become cliched, I am glad that I can finally feel accepted wearing clothes that I feel confident in and that don’t burn a hole in my pocket either (pro thrifter tip #1: always check for holes in your clothes before you buy something).

THE HOWS:

Goodwill is where wrinkly old ladies get their thrift on, and beachside ‘secondhand shop boutiques’ are where hipsters go to get their fur jackets, but hardcore thrifters know that the best thrift stores are the sketchy ones that no one talks about. They refer to them with ambiguous names such as “The Pomona One” or “The One Where You Got Those Blue Nikes” but they always know exactly which one the other person is referring to. It is the language of a thrifter.

If you are planning on going to a sketchy one, they only take cash, so you have to stop by a Wells-Fargo before you get there. Tuesdays are the best thrifting days, remember that. Always check to see what color tags are discounted that day, remember that too. If you like the heels but don’t know what you’ll wear them to, get them goshdangit. You’ll need some to wear for honor guard at graduation.

THE WHYS:

Financial
One of the most obvious motives for shopping at thrift stores is for financial reasons. I’m sorry little Miss I Live On The Cirty's Foothills and Own a Horse, but not everyone can afford a sequined blue shirt that against all odds, claims it’s pink. Even if you do have horse stables and an up close view of the mountains in your backyard, it isn’t rocket science to know that paying $5 for an equally sufficient shirt is a lot better than paying $50. In the wise words of Macklemore, “50 dollars for a t-shirt, that’s just some ignorant b*tch sh*t. I call that getting swindled and pimped, sh*t. I call that getting tricked by business.”

Environmental
Thrifting isn’t just less costly for you, but also for the environment. Every new clothing item requires a huge amount of energy to produce, and many commonly used synthetic fibers emit by products of toxic gases and chemicals when manufactured. That brand new pair of pants you recently bought from the mall didn’t just magically appear there--these items must use large sums of energy for lengthy transportation before they are displayed in stores. I’m not here to bore you with the logistics of how the pants you’re wearing are contributing to the slow but steady environmental deterioration that could potentially lead to the annihilation of all life on earth, but I do want to emphasize how important it is that we at least acknowledge the issues and all try our best to protect momma earth.  

Social
Thrifting has the same, if not a greater, potential to for meaningful social interactions as a trip to the local mall with friends does. Throughout the years, my mom, brother, grandma and I have created a tradition centered around our thrifting outings. My grandma hobbles out of her house at around 9:00 am and hops into the car. We usually head over to our favorite first, “The Pomona One”, and park front and center. My grandma grabs her cart, and us ours, as we check the main board to see what color tags are on sale that day. The hangers screech back and forth as “red 75% off, orange 50% off, and blue 25% off” repeats itself in our heads. As we carry our bags to the car, my grandma and I both slip the homeless man with the amputated leg a dollar and my mom proceeds to scold us both.

On the drive back we are always sure to stop to get Mexican food because shopping unfailingly works up a hefty appetite. Once we’re home, we sit on the floor to remove the staples together, and once everything is washed, we show off our “new” outfits to each other. I don’t know about you, but I’d take sorting through funky T-shirts and eating taquitos with my family over monotonously wandering through Forever 21 with a salty mall pretzel any day.

Thrifting makes your wallet, the earth, and YOU happy. I’m going to stop there, but the reasons why thrift stores are beneficial are endless. Overall, who can disagree with a man in a lion print parka? No one. Thrift shopping IS “f*cking awesome.”

I am passionate about thrifting and wish to share my passion with as many people as possible. It's more than just about old shoes--it is a fundamental step towards a more conscious and authentic way of living.

on Aug. 6 2018 at 12:54 am
Pouyaemehr SILVER, Brentwood, Tennessee

"The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference." -Elie Wiesel

Wonderful job! your humble and honest tone is what makes this essay so marvelous. Your essay connects with your audience and is not pretentious at all. You did an amazing job.