Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog | Teen Ink

Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog

May 18, 2018
By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
678 articles 0 photos 8 comments

 The story of Marley, a giant, yellow Labrador Retriever, named after Bob Marley, in the story Marley and Me by John Grogan, shows what life is like with a devious, sweet dog.  The book talks about the entire life of Marley, from before him and until life after him. Grogan tells about all of the crazy stories about Marley and all the trouble he caused.  From destroying an entire house to starring in a movie, Marley truly was a very unique canine.  The story ends beautifully with Marley passing away peacefully, and John telling Marley that he’s a great dog, something that Marley did not hear often.


 After the death of Marley, towards the end of the book, John mentions his flashbacks of Marley when he was younger and all of the good times they had together.  And John remembers all the chaos Marley caused. “Despite everything, all the disappointments and unmet expectations, Marley had given us a gift, at once priceless and free. He taught us the art of unqualified love. How to give it, how to accept it.” (297).  Marley was like a wild bull and could cause mayhem like nobody else, but at the same time, he gave his family meaning and purpose.  The dog’s personality will be remembered by his family for eternity.  The story ends with John and his wife seeing an ad in the newspaper for a dog that is Marley, a crazy, caring, courageous canine who has problems controlling his energy. The married couple feel that the newspaper is calling them and letting them know that Marley has been reincarnated. John and Jenny decide to go check out the dog and then the story ends abruptly, but yet at the same time pleasantly. 


 This incredible dog helped to teach people the meaning of life. He was a special, furry friend who changed the lives of everyone around him.  The ending of the book did him justice with his owner, John, remembering the great times they had and saying a powerful goodbye to man’s best friend. John and his family didn’t realize, didn’t realize how much Marley meant to them, until he was gone.  The story ends peacefully with John telling his pet a set of words that Marley usually did not hear: that he was a great dog.