Making Music and Producing Yourself? | Teen Ink

Making Music and Producing Yourself?

By ImMtnDrew GOLD, Council Bluffs, Iowa
ImMtnDrew GOLD, Council Bluffs, Iowa

"You only control what you can control."

It's actually extremely easy to record and produce your own music. As long as you have the talent, you can make your own music. You need a few things obviously, things such as a computer or laptop, a microphone; there are tons of microphones you can use, find, and buy. You can purchase a USB microphone on Amazon or from a store such as Wal-mart for a fairly low price ($20-$80), a pair of headphones for about $20-$40 bucks for a decent pair of headphones though they aren't a necessity to make your music unless you like to hear your instrumental while you sing/rap. A quiet room is also a pretty important key to recording. Most microphones pick up a lot of sounds, even small ones that can mess up the recording and not make it clear, Which I must say is quite irritating while recording your music. It's never a good idea to make your music when you're not in a relaxed mood, You'll force music and make yourself mad. It's always great to find an instrumental that's really fitting to your style. Anything that helps your flow without thinking too hard or you're forcing your music to a style that's not yours. Everyone has a different flow, you just have to discover it. A recording program where you can manage music is a pretty important key for combining your recording with the instrumental, I recommend Sony Vegas Pro, Adobe After Effects, or if you can't afford either, something that's free and easier is Windows Movie Maker or if you're an Apple user, iMovie and Garage Band. You can make a music video or a full video of you singing or recording your music also then upload the video and/or music to social media like Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, SoundCloud, and others. Then share it and have your friend and family share your music create a fan base of people to listen to your music which is also motivation to create more music. You just have to willing to put in the hard work, time, and have a passion for what you do.

Making Music