Good Clean Fun | Teen Ink

Good Clean Fun

By jooooolia GOLD, Potomac, Maryland
jooooolia GOLD, Potomac, Maryland

"Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Right now think of your favorite song. What is it about? Love, a boy, a girl, partying, drinking? What is current music really about these days? To me, it seems that our generation can't sing about anything other than relationships, sex or parties. As a teen myself, I know that there is no way around these things, and its fine if we indulge ourselves sometimes, but lets be honest, how does Nicki Minaj enhance your mind? We have all had times in our life where we do this stuff, but we have also had times where we didn't need it. High on life with a couple of friends can be a lot better than high on drugs with some drop-out peers. But our current music contradicts that. Subconsciously, we are being told that in order to have fun, you have to be at a rage, drunk or high (Thank you Ke$ha). And come on Taylor Swift, relationships and break ups are not the sole purpose of our teenage years. We never hear anyone talking about how great it is being single. What our generation needs is someone to make music that doesn't secretly pressure us into doing stupid things or convince us that love life= life. Everyone hears music, but we don't always realize that we listen to it. There are other ways to live out YOLO! I challenge the all brave teenagers to write their own lyrics to the tune of their favorite song about what you ACTUALLY like to do and see how it turns out.