Movie season. It's coming and it's full. | Teen Ink

Movie season. It's coming and it's full.

By marsboymikel BRONZE, Round Lake, Illinois
marsboymikel BRONZE, Round Lake, Illinois

It’s the fall. You and your friends are going to see a movie. You walk in and see so many different options. After making your decisions, buying your tickets, and purchasing snacks, you prepare for an eventful night filled with action, comedy, and maybe some romance. Tonight you’ll be entering a different world, the world of the movies.

What people don’t know, is that all of those options for movies in the fall are there to take your money. Washington Post writer Ann Hornaday said in her article “Fall season is for important movies. But must issues trump excellence?” that “The biggest and most important movies are usually saved for the fall season” . This has a lot to do with marketing, as Most people with jobs will have more money around the fall in winter, as it’s the end of the year and most people will save up as much as possible. By releasing movies around this time, those who have saved up will want to see more movies than usual, so they will spend more on tickets. This is basic marketing. Release your product when you are guaranteed to make the most money.

This season is filled with so much content, that you don’t know what to watch. We all get caught in this web, and feel like we have to see most if not some of these movies. You could see the 2 big new action movies one week, then next week see a dumb comedy with some friends, and after that see a family movie with your parents and siblings. It’s like being in a room full of celebrities. You don’t know who to talk to, so you choose who to spend your time with and try to talk to as many of them as possible.

Before the 2000’s,  this wasn’t as much of an issue. Most sequels to major franchises were spaced apart by years, so the market wasn’t as saturated. Terminator 2 didn’t come out until almost 10 years after the first movie. Of course you had the occasional blockbusters like Star Wars and Alien. Movies so popular people lined up around the block to see them. But they were spaced apart enough from other blockbusters that it wasn’t too bad.

This year alone there are over 150 movies coming out, because so many franchises are either getting sequels, reboots, or remakes. and there’s definitely more to come! You have big movies like No Time To Die, Spider-man 3, Blackwidow, Venom 2, Halloween Kills, Top Gun, The Candyman remake, The Suicide Squad, Fast and Furious 9, Space Jam, a new G.I. Joe, Eternals, Shang-Chi, Spiral, The Forever Purge, Hocus Pocus 2, The Matrix 4, And so many more. 

I’m sure so many people want to see most of these movies that are coming out. Just know, that all those tickets and snacks you buy are eventually going to add up. So just know that when theres a movie you want to see with friends, maybe just wait until it’s available to rent on demand, as spending 5 bucks on a movie is better than spending up to 50 bucks on tickets and snacks.

This is inspired by "Sugar Season. It’s Everywhere and Addictive." By James DiNicolantonio and Sean Lucan