Your Choice | Teen Ink

Your Choice

By elliepwilson BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
elliepwilson BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

A classmate of yours decided to come out as gay this weekend over social media. He’s one of your closest friends. You’re a little surprised he would post something like this on a public page. You click on his post to find so many abusive comments. Ew. Weird. Stop. Your whole school is harassing him… everyone you know. You feel bad; you want to support your friend. But you’re afraid those comments could appear on your page next. Would you add a mean comment just to fit in? Would you take the risk and support him? Would you just scroll past it? Would you ignore it? What would you do? But then you think about what would happen to him. Will he be able to face everyone at school? Would there be consequences? What would happen?

On Friday, June 26, 2015, same-sex marriage was legalized in the United States for the first time. It shouldn't have taken this long for the United States to realize people should have the right to love who they want. Gay rights are human rights. Unfortunately, people do not always see it this way. Despite the laws and efforts being made, gay and lesbian couples are constantly abused, judged, and harassed. It’s not fair, especially if it’s the law. People should have the right to love freely and to be who you are. I believe that life is about what you want, not what others want. If you’re forced to be someone you’re not, then what’s the point?

Why did it take this long for same-sex marriage to be legal in the United States? Why are people still abused over simple sexual orientation? Why are same-sex couples not accepted? It shouldn’t be this hard for them. Approximately 60% of Americans support same-sex marriage; why don’t the other 40%? There is nothing wrong with loving freely. People should not make this big of a deal over love. The support for same-sex marriage is on the rise, however, people still need to be open to this. It is not right for abuse to happen over sexual orientation.

The day before same-sex marriage was legalized, Caitlyn Jenner’s story was released on the cover of Vanity Fair. June 25, 2015, a celebrity, once Bruce now Caitlyn, decided to change. Change is an option. The world is full of options. I believe the choices you make are on you. If what you want is a change of gender, so be it. I live in a world where this is an option. I also live in a world where people are abused for their choices. Gender inequality between women and men has been an issue for a while, but this choice is something completely different. People should have this right. This is a little different than same-sex marriage because it is something you are born with, however, people should be able to be able to choose. Life is a choice. Marriage is a choice. Gender can be a choice. And it’s all up to you.

You decide to text your friend. “Hey, I saw your post.” A few seconds later, his response pops up. “Yeah, I think I made a mistake. Did you see those comments?” You know he needs your support. You start typing a reply. “I think it's ok. It’s not a mistake. It’s you. Who cares what they think?” You press send. “Thanks.” Hopefully the rest of the world will follow you. Hopefully one day it won’t matter who you’re attracted to. Hopefully one day people won’t care what others have to say.