A New Perception | Teen Ink

A New Perception

August 26, 2015
By ishanisa BRONZE, Bhopal, Other
ishanisa BRONZE, Bhopal, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I observe youth being hesitant to lifelong commitment, love and marriage. One can blame the picture painted by our society which slashes down the wings of a free man. Laden with idealistic character and obligation to fit in society, men and women have given up their aspirations since ever. Love, which is supposed to be a beautiful and spiritual bond, is tainted and marriage has become compulsory handcuffs.


Woman is afraid that she will lose her freedom and have to spend her entire life to fulfill others’ wishes. While man is depressed that he will have to be the bread earner and drag the wheels of so called family. Why are we scaring this generation that when they are asked about freedom, marriage is the first thing to be scrapped off. A traveler doesn’t want a family because he finds this responsibility to be burdensome. A writer would prefer a studio-like room with no husband and kids. I don’t understand when ‘Love’ is preached all across, why to mistake it with boundaries.


Several things now have a modified approach (like being an entrepreneur). May be its high time to set better examples so that once again we can restore faith in love and commitment. It is as simple as our loyalty to our dream or job or business. Similarly, one will face troubles sailing the boat the way we face in career but do we abandon the boat? No, we harden the grip and sail against the storm. That is loyalty. Love is meant to be free yet it demands loyalty. Just because this entire concept is dusted in our culture, doesn’t mean you wouldn’t find the treasure it holds. You will. Those who have understood this correctly are happily married, enjoying everything nature has to offer and yet are free individuals.


People, who preach nature, adore charming mountains and serene river, for once shorten your vision a little and be delightful for what this same nature has given you. Your body, your feelings, your loved ones and your offspring. These are nothing but beautiful creations of nature.


I have seen my parents struggling to put everything together. They too have been the victims of poor conceptions and have lost their freedom in many ways. Along with that I see happiness in their eyes when they see their family together. I see affection for each other. I hear those eye watering stories when my sister and I were born. I’m inspired by my father’s love and by the respect my mother holds for being a mother. Life has never been perfect to anyone but can’t we learn from the mistakes and misconceptions our society holds rather than leaving scars.
I’m 19 and I believe in love. I believe in marriage and life long commitment. I’m ready for this responsibility and I’m not afraid. I want to experience every moment this nature has to offer. I want to be a mother and a wife and a grandmother. Saying this, I am not binding myself or compromising on my dreams. I have just realised that the dust, as we call it, can always be swept off.


The author's comments:

I see peoplearound me considering love or marriage as boundation and not inspiration. It's really sad to see youth not believeing in commitment and condemning marriage. Society should give a better picture so that the faith in love can be restored.