Snow Fall | Teen Ink

Snow Fall

June 22, 2015
By JordanMcKayla BRONZE, Paris, Illinois
JordanMcKayla BRONZE, Paris, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'm not saying that everything is survivable. Just that everything except the last thing is." - John Green


The snow falls three, sometimes four or five months out of the year. It can be thick clumps or thin flurries. It can stick in heavy snow banks or disappear, leaving a wet, slick ground. It falls down our backs and to our toes and makes our glasses blurry. It can be so frustrating...But sometimes it falls on our tongues, and lands gracefully in our outstretched hands. Sometimes it clings to the strands of our hair. Sometimes you watch the youth spring joyfully into the snow piles. Watch an animal bound through the white hills with snow on their small, black noses. The snow can hold beautiful,  innocent wonders. And sometimes, if you're a lucky soul, you'll see your lover with snowflakes in their hair and joy in their eyes. Their cheeks as red as the blood running through their veins. As red as the fireplace roaring with warmth. As red as wrapping paper Christmas morning. As red as Santa's nose as he climbs down the chimney to place gifts for everyone. But your lover gives you something so much more valuable than any gift you could ever receive. Your mind with them flurries like snowflakes coming down from a white sky. As white as the wedding gown they wear on your wedding day. And when it all melts away... it's as black and brown as the atmosphere when you catch them with another. The sky is blue like the rivers you will cry because you thought it was real. The betrayal feels like the numbness from the cold. And eventually you realize the cold and snow was coming not from the Heaven's above, but from their cold sympathy and numbing affection that was always meant to turn to Spring anyway.