My Opinion on Gay Marriage | Teen Ink

My Opinion on Gay Marriage

By Joeysp2 SILVER, New Castle, Delaware
Joeysp2 SILVER, New Castle, Delaware

This subject is very dear to my heart. Gay marriage/equality/rights etc.

I’m straight. I want to know what’s so wrong about it? Its just two people who are in love, that’s all. So what if they are the same gender? And the fact that we have to VOTE on gay marriage is ridiculous. I mean did we vote on straight marriage? These are some of the problems that really upset me. Heterosexual divorce rates are over 50%. Homosexual divorce rates are nowhere near that. Some people say that gay marriage tears down the values of “traditional marriage” If your marriage is so fragile that two men or two women getting married will destroy it then that says more about your relationship then theirs.

“I Don’t care if you’re black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, short, tall, fat, skinny, rich, or poor. If you are nice to me, ill be nice to you. Simple as that.” – Eminem

To all the parents that are reading this with your child, or find this to your knowledge, listen up! Having a gay child doesn’t mean you failed as a parent. Disowning your child means you failed as a parent. You should be careful whom you hate. They could be the most precious part of your life! And you never know what one little comment can do to your child. One homophobic comment could make your child hate you or worse themselves.

“I definitely think we should all have the right to love and love publicly the people we want to love” – Carrie Underwood

To all the people who believe being gay is wrong because the Bible clearly defines marriage as one man and one woman. Well you are WRONG. The Bible also defines marriage as one man and many women, a rapist and his victim, and a conquering soldier & a female prisoner of war. Now you are probably saying “God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve! That was when the earth wasn’t populated. There are now over seven billion people living and breeding even more people. Clearly that isn’t an issue anymore? And besides that, no really understands how bad gay people have it. Their family and friends disown some of them just because of whom they love. Some gay people kill themselves because of ignorant homophobic comments.

“I believe that marriage isn’t between a man and a woman but between love and love.” – Frank Ocean

To all the kids who are still in school and like to bully others, you are not cool! The kid you are bullying? You have no idea what might be going on in their life. And if something does happen the blame would be put on you. Murder charges. Manslaughter. Now lastly, to all the gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered people that are struggling out their… YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! Don’t let anyone steal your pride or tell you whom you can and cant love. Don’t apologize for who you are and what you want. As one of my peers told me, Love knows no limits. If you are reading this you are never alone. I support you and so do many others.

“When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free.” – Barack Obama

So in conclusion, I support same sex marriage and rights along with many others in this world. Its natural as any other marriages. Being against gay marriage because it’s YOUR religion is like being mad at someone for eating a doughnut while YOU are on a diet. One day gay marriage will be legalized. And that is my opinion on gay marriage/ equality/ rights/ etc.

I hear about this topic a lot in America and i thought it was right to express my opinion on this subject.

Teabag said...
I believe gays should have right to marry but not in a Catholic Church not allowed. Indeed, I think we have to challenge faith as opposed to take the subject at face value.

on Nov. 19 2016 at 11:03 am
"FREEDOM OF CHOICE".. it guarantees you the freedom to choose to be gay or not. It guarantees me the freedom to not want to be around you. Simple.

:) :) said...
on Jul. 13 2016 at 2:29 am
I find it gross when people say (and sorry for my language) fuck gays, they're all going to hell. That is the most wrong thing I've ever heard. Gay or straight we are all gods children, and he loves us all. Even though the bible states it a certain way, people can do whatever they want in life and live it how ever they want. I have supported gay marriage for as log as I can remember, and I will until the day I die.