Same-sex marriage | Teen Ink

Same-sex marriage

By Emily-G SILVER, River Falls, Wisconsin
Emily-G SILVER, River Falls, Wisconsin

"Lives can do amazing things when the odds are against them."

-The village Elder in 'Sight Seeing'

Imagine your dream wedding. You’re friends and family surrounding you, their warm smiles reflecting how you feel inside. And there, at the altar beside you, stands the one you love. The person you want to spend the rest of your life with. Your other half. The one you can’t live without! Violin music courses through the chapel. You take your vows with a smile, knowing that this is the happiest you have ever been. You’re other half smiles back at you, knowing that they feel the same way. This is the start of your life together. The life you knew you wanted from the moment you saw each other.

Now, scrap all of that because it’s never going to happen. Why not? Because you are a man, and no matter how much you love him, you can’t marry another man. Or maybe you’re a woman. That makes no difference, because no matter how much you love your girlfriend, you can’t marry her either. You can’t have that happiness, or that feeling of togetherness. Because a group of stuffy old government representatives say what you’re feeling isn’t right.

Same-sex marriage has always been a controversial topic. Why would we let homosexuals get married? God says its wrong right? I mean, who isn’t Christian? Who hasn’t seen that verse in the bible right there that says “Homosexuals cannot get married”? Oh, that’s right, nobody has seen it! Because it doesn’t exist!!!

It is true that several verses in the bible can BE INTERPRETED to say that sex between people of the same gender is wrong. But the bible also mentions that all ‘sins’ are forgiven if a believer repents. So in the end, a homosexual couple having sex is just as bad as a three year old not listening to his mother. The moral of this paragraph is, if the government is going to use the bible as an argument, they have to read the whole thing.

I’d also like to remind everyone about the whole separation of church and state thing. You know, that law that those stuffy government guys made a long while back. I would assume that isn’t limited to praying in school. It could also be interpreted that the government shouldn’t be allowed to make laws based on a representative’s religious beliefs. Or maybe I’m just INTERPRETING it that way.

The point is, love is love any way you slice it. So the government shouldn’t be able to decide who is allowed to be in love and who isn’t. That’s playing god my friend, and that is defiantly bad in the bible. If you want to decide who loves who, go play Sims 3. Besides, saying they can’t get married isn’t going to make them all virgins. Not being married hasn’t stopped the large handfuls of pregnant teenagers and it isn’t about to stop two men or two women in love. So in a sense, you’re silly law is pointless.

So to wrap this thing up, I’d like to ask the government to reconsider their opinions. After all, this is the twenty first century and people are more open minded. Give everyone in our country a chance to get that magical experience that is a wedding. Let them have a chance to be together without people around them thinking what they’re doing is wrong. Everyone deserves their dream wedding. Why should some old men’s beliefs separate homosexual’s from theirs?

Emily-G SILVER said...
on Jul. 15 2011 at 4:32 pm
Emily-G SILVER, River Falls, Wisconsin

-The village Elder in 'Sight Seeing'

No one said you couldn't.

on Jul. 15 2011 at 3:40 pm
tikapeek97 BRONZE, Waterboro, Maine

"good things come in small packages" =)

im sorry, but you got to share you opinion so I thought it would be fair if I got to share mine.

Emily-G SILVER said...
on Jul. 11 2011 at 6:37 pm
Emily-G SILVER, River Falls, Wisconsin

-The village Elder in 'Sight Seeing'

If u wish to share your opinions, feel free to write your own article ^_^ these opinions remain mine. Have a nice day.

on Jul. 11 2011 at 1:54 pm
tikapeek97 BRONZE, Waterboro, Maine

"good things come in small packages" =)

Leviticus 20:13

Leviticus 18:22