Hand me Change for Love | Teen Ink

Hand me Change for Love

March 4, 2011
By MargaretJean PLATINUM, Robins, Iowa
MargaretJean PLATINUM, Robins, Iowa
25 articles 3 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I was outta luck the day the music died." -American Pie (the song)


What Changed us? Where did this magical Change come from? Why is Change always coming, never leaving? For once, Change was not welcome. I was always warned never to be both the first at the party and the last to leave - so why is Change allowed this privilege? Change stayed so long it practically moved in. Change had settled down.

Change was my one constant.


Supposedly I was beautiful. Supposedly I was funny. Supposedly all the boys loved me, or at least thought they did.

People always told me this. That Never Changed.


Certainly I was vain. Certainly I was cruel. Certainly all the boys were my toys, or at least I thought they were.

My future self told me this. That Never Changed.

I had drawn a line in the sand, and penciled a big fat NO over it. But I kept trying to push myself over the line, testing the limits I had set myself for my safety. My one attempt at Control. You never liked it when I was Control. You always told me nobody would be safe.

You tripped me over the line.

Everything became Change.
Everything became coupled.


Supposedly we weren’t beautiful. Supposedly we weren’t funny. Supposedly everyone hated us, or wanted to.

People always told us this. That Never Changed.


Certainly we were perfect. Certainly we were meant to be. Certainly everyone thought so, or wanted to.

My future self told me this. That Never Changed.

With you, there was no No. Everything was Yes. There was no End, no Change, no Beginning. Everything glowed and everything was a song, everything was hope and nothing went wrong. Even the distance Change tried to bring brought us closer, we could withstand anything. Trust stomped Change into the ground, with some help from Understanding, and behind it all the word I’d associated with your name since I first met the real You, the You that Never Changed. Love.

Change brought us together, and Change will always be there to keep us from going apart.