Why do people want to be in a relationship? | Teen Ink

Why do people want to be in a relationship?

January 20, 2023
By Elenayang47 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Elenayang47 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"you have to fail in order to succeed" - anonymous


I was single at one point in my life. All of my friends were getting into relationships and frequently bragged about how good their boyfriends were treating them. Though I never mentioned it, I always had the desire for someone to love me. For me to have someone to love. A special person meant just for me. 


When I walk into a public setting, there are more single people than couples. And I admit, it’s really hard not to look at them. I mean they look like they really have it all. They look joyful and secure within each other’s presence. This made being single feel intolerably lonely. So then it became clear to me that people want to be in a relationship because they believe it can be a happy place for them. 


Being in a relationship is massively normalized in today’s society. It is often deemed as a good thing. In an Op-Ed from The Gator called “Is Love at First Sight Real?” Grace Papas states, “our brains tend to focus on our unmet needs.” Though there is nothing wrong with being single, our brain will automatically see it as a flaw because our life lacks love relationships. And when we see a flaw, we suddenly become unhappy. 


Study shows that being in love triggers positive feelings. This is due to a hormone called dopamine that is released when you are in love. It makes you feel warm and it often gives you butterflies in your stomach. But it doesn’t stop here. These feelings will actually get stronger the deeper the connection gets. What’s more is that the concept of having a strong and positive relationship will only encourage people to get into one. 


Researchers also found that the feeling of being in love is highly addictive. In comparison, it is as powerful as a hit of cocaine. When such feelings are felt, whether during the talking stage or just having a crush, it can make being in a relationship even more desirable. As it allows us to assume that having a relationship will bring us satisfaction and happiness. 


It is clear that people want to be in a relationship because they believe that it can bring them happiness. As the idea of being in a relationship already triggers intense and positive emotions. Although this isn’t what fully influences people into being in a relationship, it is a big factor of it. After all it is the feeling of contentment that we thrive and live for.