Depression is a real thing | Teen Ink

Depression is a real thing

September 17, 2018
By Anonymous

                              Depression is real

In 8th grade, I had this friend name Emma. She was 14. She was 5 feet. She was my best friend, but she was depressed.  She was depressed because we were hanging out with the wrong friend group, she was getting bad grades. Also, she tried out for basketball and she didn’t make the team. she was getting bullied, people called her fat and ugly they said that no one liked her.                                                                                         The reason I am telling this story is because depression is a real thing and people need to take it seriously.  Also, because I think it is important for anyone that is in the situation, she was in they should know they are not alone and they should feel like they have someone to talk to because back when she was depressed she use to cut herself. She felt like she had no one. She felt useless and helpless. She felt like she didn’t matter. She felt like the world would be better without her. I believe that no one should feel like this. Everyone matters and everyone has a reason to be on this earth.  In my opinion, I think it is more that you are sad and feel helpless, or detached from the people who love you, but you put on a happy face to make people think you are happy.          

This impacted me because I realized the people we were hanging out with made her feel sad and empty. They peer-pressured her into doing drugs/ alcohol / sex with them. She knew this wasn’t her, but I wanted to have friends so she did that stuff like they did. She knew she had a great family, but she still did that stuff and after she was pregnant and she was thinking to herself, why did I do this? She got an abortion and she was very sad after. She tried cutting herself multiple times and tried overdosing, but her mom walked in on her opening the pill bottle. Her mom started asking her questions like when did she start feeling like this? Why she was feeling like this? Emma started thinking what if I would have done it and my mom didn’t walk in on me, I would be dead! She thought of all the people who would miss her and she came across her little sister Blayney, and she couldn’t do it anymore because she would be so sad, and she would feel like it was her fault. Also, to be honest, I'm glad her mom walked in on her trying to kill herself because she was my best friend, and you only live once. She was in a dark hole, god found her and she found god, she started going to church with me and she got baptized now she has a great relationship with god. She also found that church music and ballet made her feel happier and put her in a good mood.

 This shaped my life and changed me because I realized we needed better friends because we hung out with the same group of people. I also found out that your family is everything you need, because they will always be there for you. Something that I also realized was that you should just try and be happy. This also showed me that you need to be kind and caring to everyone because you really do not know what is going on in their family life or school life, so just be nice to everyone. This changed my life because she was my best friend and I realized that everyone matters. Before this chapter in my life I didn’t really pay attention to how I treated people, now I know that everyone has feelings and it matters how you treat them.


The author's comments:

Depression is a real thing and people need to take it seriouslly.