Battle of Hurricanes | Teen Ink

Battle of Hurricanes

By Bandomarko BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Bandomarko BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"You hear certain things, negative things, all the ten't true, but you never hear about the positive."

When I first watched the movie Hurricane Season, it showed me how much destruction hurricanes can cause. Ever since I seen the movie, I have been terrified to be a witness of one. A hurricane is a natural disaster, where mother nature kills & destroys. Hurricanes are created by warm, tropical regions where the water is at least 80 degrees fahrenheit. Hurricanes cause plenty of damage due to the storm surge which cause the flooding. Luckily, hurricane hunters will save us. Therefore, hurricanes are the worst to experience because of the storm surge that occurs, causing floods.

Hurricanes cause plenty of damage due to the storm surge. The author states, “ when a hurricane makes landfall, it often produces a devastating storm surge that can reach 20 feet high and extend nearly 100 miles.” In the hurricane data set, the author is saying that the storm surge is the most destructive part of a hurricane because it causes floods. People would drown & many things will get destroyed due to the very high level of water. In Galveston, Texas, on September 8, 1900, a huge hurricane hit their city. 8,000 people had lost their lives & the island was destroyed by a 15 foot wave & 130-mile-an-hour wind.

Hurricane Hunters will save us during a hurricane. The author states, “ Hurricane Hunters work for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) & fly planes into tropical storms & hurricanes.” In the hurricane data set, the author is saying that Hurricane Hunters is our best bet of surviving a hurricane. Hurricane Hunters are very helpful because without them, it will be more of a struggle to survive any hurricane.

Therefore, hurricanes are the worst Natural Disaster to experience because when the water reaches at least 80 degrees fahrenheit, a hurricane forms. They cause massive damage due to the water reaching about 20 feet & 130-mile-an-hour wind caused by the storm surge. Luckily, we have Hurricane Hunters to save us from hurricanes. There is a very good chance that you will get smoked by a hurricane, unless you have good experience or know what to do during one.

I wrote this story to let people know what the cause is of hurricanes & how much damage they can cause. Hurricane hunters will be there to save you most likely if a hurricane ever occurs in your area.