Crisis of Cell Phones | Teen Ink

Crisis of Cell Phones

July 1, 2016
By JennaRoseRubino SILVER, Pequannock, New Jersey
JennaRoseRubino SILVER, Pequannock, New Jersey
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Failure is my teacher, not my judge"


To begin, most Americans who own a cell-phone often worry if they can cause any health issues.The number of cell phone users has increased rapidly. As of December 2014, there were more than 327.5 million cellphone subscribers in the United States, according to the Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association. It is very conspicuous that possessing a cell-phone can cause atrocious injuries to human people physically and internally. Agencies adjudge that there is no scientific confirmation that cell-phones cause any health dilemmas. It is necessary for people to learn that harm such as expansion of brain tumors and traffic accidents result into using the cell-phone.
Thereupon, various peer-reviewed students have discovered an association between cellphone use and increase of brain tumors. According a March. 2008 meta-analysis of cell phone studies, there beholds a “constant pattern” associating increment to many types brain tumors and cell phone control. Following this, on March 31st, 2009, studies found that long term phone usage “approximately doubles the risk” of the diagnosis of glioma, a type of brain tumor, on the same side of the head of where the phone is used and or constantly being used. Phones deliver radiofrequency energy, a sort of non-ionizing radiation. Phone can also cause acoustic neuroma, a benign tumor formation on the nerve near near the ear. 


Furthermore, using a cell phone while driving is extremely hazardous and generates into traffic accidents more probable. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) concludes the drinking distractions, mainly cell-phone, contribute 25% of all car disasters. To exemplify, the University of Utah analyzed that people who drive with their phones are as impaired as drunk drivers with blood alcohol level of 0.08%. In 2014, 3,179 people were killed, and 431,000 were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving distracted drivers. Text messaging requires visual, manual, and cognitive attention from the driver, it is by far the most alarming distraction. The best way to end distracted driving is to educate all Americans about the danger it poses.


On the other hand, U.S. government agencies work out that there is no existing scientific authentication determining that cell-phones cause any type of health problems. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC), US Government Accountability Office (GAO), and the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) assume that there is no evidence in scientific literature proving cell-phones cause brain tumors. According to the FDA, "attempts to replicate and attune the few studies that did show a attachment [between cell phone radiation and head tumors] have unsuccessful. On the contrary, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), has classified phone radiation as possibly fatal. To clarify, the World Health Organization (WHO) issued a press release declaring it had included cell phone radiation to its list of physical agents that are "possibly carcinogenic to humans".


All things considered, it is a common uncertainty if cell-phones develop any sort of health issues. Over time, the number of cell phone calls per day, the length of each call, and the amount of time people use cell phones have increased. Obviously it is appropriate that citizens know the dangers of what having a phone can cause. Many administrations and students at colleges have disclosed illnesses and deadly effects having and or using a phone can provoke. Illnesses like brain tumors from radiation and dangers such as traffic accidents. Government agencies like the  Federal Communications Commission (FCC), announce that there is no extant confirmation that cellphones are a cause cancer. Although, the World Health Organization declared that cellphone radiation is on the list of physical forces that are lethal to humans. It is bizarre that today in the world of new modern technology, humans now need to know if the most common everyday used objects can produce harm physically and internally.