Would You Rather Regulate or Take Responsibility? | Teen Ink

Would You Rather Regulate or Take Responsibility?

By Hager2015 GOLD, Staten Island New York, New York
Hager2015 GOLD, Staten Island New York, New York

"There is nothing impossible to him who will try." -Alexander The Great

Over the course of time, the United States government debated whether they should regulate the food industry. The Food and Drug Administration (F.D.A.) was a way to ensure that the food we eat is evaluated and is not dangerous or toxic. Over time the F.D.A. debated over food coloring/dye, food labels, and the soda ban. I believe the F.D.A. should not regulate food dyes because the dyes have more positive than negative effects on people of all ages, and instead we should have personal responsibility.

The food and drug administration
   In the United States government, we have the Food and Drug Administration (F.D.A.). The F.D.A. prohibits the use of sale of any filthy or decomposed substances from being sold to the public. In addition to this, they do not allow the concealing of damaged food and/or products that have posed as a health risk. The F.D.A. also prohibits any addition and/or substance to foods.

“Chew On This” Yes or No to Government Regulations
   Based on evidence found in Chew On This, the F.D.A. should not regulate the use of food dye, and instead we should have personal responsibility. For those who believe this, they refer to page 123 where it states, “The U.S. government claims that the color and flavor additives widely used in processed foods are safe” (Wilson 123). This shows how food dyes do not pose as a threat to any health risks because according to the government they are completely safe. In addition, this can also be seen on page 122 when it states, “Students have found that the color of food can influence the way people think it tastes. Brightly colored foods seem to taste better than bland-looking foods, even when their flavors are exactly the same” (Wilson 122). This shows how food dyes don’t pose as a health risk because the dyes are not really damaging the human body, so it clearly cannot pose as a health risk.

On the other hand, other many disagree and believe that the food dyes can pose a health risk and that they should be regulated. For example, according to Chew On This, it states, “Titanium dioxide is a chemical found in both white house paint and cake frosting” (Wilson 121).  This shows how the same substance that we use in our house to color our walls and such is found in the foo we consume and digest, making it a health risk because what if this chemical is toxic to our health like it is toxic in our white paint? I, however, refute this because according to a very resourceful article it stated how Titanium dioxide is used in countless varies of house paints and our foods only to give them that creamy white color and it also helps protect our skin from ultraviolet light (http://www.henrymakow.com/who-titanium-dioxide-in-our.html). This shows how titanium dioxide does not pose as a health risk because it is only used to give color to our food and house paint, making it not toxic to our body and our health. This is significant because this shows how we do not need government regulations because food dyes like titanium dioxide do not pose as a risk towards our health.

Do We Need Government Regulations OR Personal Responsibility
   According to the article, F.D.A. Panel to Consider Warnings for Artificial Food Colorings, food coloring should not be regulated and instead we should have personal responsibility. For those who believe this, they refer to page 1 where it states, “The Food and Drug Administration concluded long ago that there was no definite link between the colorings and the behavior or health problems, and the agency is unlikely to change its mind anytime soon.” This shows how we do not need government regulations because according to the F.D.A. food dye was not the cause of behavioral and health problems, and so it should not be regulated if it is not a threat. This can also be seen on page 2 where it states, “All of the major safety bodies global have been reviewed and available Science have determined that there is no demonstrable link between artificial food colorings [and regular food colorings] and hyperactivity among children.” This proves how there is no possible health risk found in food coloring, and since it does not pose as a health risk it should not be regulated. Therefore, as you can see food coloring/dye does not pose as a risk to human health and behavior, and so it should not be regulated.
   On the other hand others may disagree with my statement and say that food dye should be regulated. For those who accept this as the truth they refer to page 1 where it states, “Staff Scientists from the F.D.A. wrote that while typical children might be unaffected by these dyes, those with behavioral disorders might have their conditions ‘exacerbated by exposure to a number of substances in food, including, but not limited to, synthetic color addictive.’” As you can see, this shows how there should be government regulations because due to food coloring many people are suffering from the effects of food coloring. I, however, refute this because instead of government regulations we need personal responsibly. This is because it is unfair that just because some people cannot maintain food coloring in their diet does not mean you should take those privileges away from those who can consume food dyes naturally without any side effects.  Personal responsibility helps because for those who know they cannot have food dyes should eat anything that has food dyes mixed into and instead eat things that don’t maintain food dyes, while others like me who do not react so severely to food dyes can consume as much as we please, without causing a conflict.  

Although, I believe the F.D.A. should not regulate food dyes because the dyes have more positive than negative effects on people of all ages, and instead we should have personal responsibility. Many others may neglect my opinion and say that food dyes should have government regulations. But the only thing that’s missing here is that whatever power not bestowed upon the government in the Constitution goes to the citizens meaning that we have the right to fight. And I say that I will fight for personal responsibility because the government has no right to take control over our lives and the things we do like eating, so they have no right to regulate something that they have no power of. Don’t you agree?