Sayonara Plastic Bags | Teen Ink

Sayonara Plastic Bags

May 24, 2022
By 22kaysan BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
22kaysan BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In the state of Connecticut, the General Assembly passed legislation that placed a temporary, 10-cent tax on single use plastic bags in 2019. Then the single-use plastic bags were banned on July 1, 2021. Before the ban occurred, I remember that my mother and I were scrambling around Job Lot to find reusable grocery bags. We found various bags full of colors and intricate patterns. Three years later, my whole family uses those bags for groceries, clothes, or to transport any goods. Although the banning of plastic bags can cause consumers to shift to worse alternatives that leave a larger footprint. If done correctly, the banning of single use of plastic bags can improve the ecosystem and the environment that surrounds them. 


Some people argue that banning plastic bags is problematic because it can cause consumers to shift to poorer alternatives. According to David D. Sussman "Paper bags can require 400% more energy to make, not to mention the harvesting of trees and use of noxious chemicals in production”. However, he fails to recognize that paper bags are biodegradable and can be reused for composting. With single use plastic bags they are not biodegradable and often thrown out into the trash. Before the ban on single use plastic bags my family would reuse them for trash bags. However, that was not that sustainable because then they just end up in a landfill. There are more sustainable alternatives with paper bags. For example, my brother uses the paper bags we get from the grocery store as a hardcover for his school books. Also, my family likes to use paper bags to collect our plastic water bottles and once it's full we transport them to be recycled. 


The overall effects of the ban of plastic bags can benefit the economy. Some people may be concerned over the potential layoffs that may occur in the plastic bag industry because of the ban. Due to the ban of plastic bags, manufacturers tend to scale back business causing layoffs. However, the bans on plastic bags cause an uptick in business for reusable bag manufacturers and lead to an increase in jobs. Therefore, the ban of plastic can boost the economy. 

Eliminating plastic bags reduces the cost of goods and stores have to factor in the cost of disposable bags into their prices. This would not only boost the reusable bag industry but also benefit consumers. According to “Pros and Cons of a Plastic Bag Ban,” the ban can benefit consumers. They claim, “By eliminating plastic bags, stores can lower prices, helping shoppers save $18 to $30 annually”. I don’t know about you, but saving money sounds good to me. That means you can use the money you saved to buy more food from the grocery store. 


Individuals, such as David D. Sussman, who are against the ban of plastic bags argue that it's not the main contributor to the death of thousands of marine animals. He states, “ the latest research shows plastic bags make up only a fraction of marine debris in the waters of Greater Jakarta” . They admit that litter does contribute to the decrease in marine life, but claim that plastic bags are only a fraction of the litter in the waters. However, why should society not try their best to better the environment? We must recognize the problems we can solve now and work our way towards our overall goal. The ban of single-use plastic bags is just a small step toward the solution to the plastic problem. I’m no fish, but it does feel nice to know that the reusable bags I use make a difference for the environment. I noticed the pile of plastic bags that my family used to collect and never put much thought into it. However, after the ban in Connecticut I now recognize how horrible the plastic pile was. 


The single-use plastic bag ban can benefit the environment and living creatures that inhabit it. The overall switch from single plastic bags and reusable bags was not hard. The change is barely recognizable and is part of the routine. People like to argue that the ban of plastic bags in Connecticut is a miniscule solution to the overall problem the world is facing. However, if society continues to solve the problem in parts, this will eventually serve to contribute to a greater solution towards the plastic problem.