We need individual environmental action | Teen Ink

We need individual environmental action

July 1, 2021
By VittalSivakumar BRONZE, Cypress, Texas
VittalSivakumar BRONZE, Cypress, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
It always seems impossible until it's done. -Nelson Mandela

Be curious. -Stephen Hawking

Be a bush if you can't be a tree. If you can't be a highway, just be a trail. If you can't be the sun, be a star. For it isn't by size that you win or fail. Be the best at whatever you are. -Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

If you can't fly, then run. If you can't run, then walk. If you can't walk, then crawl, but by all means, keep moving. -Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.


Every day, we hear about and feel the impact of the world's environmental problems. Climate change, deforestation, plastic pollution, and the loss of biodiversity are among the most pressing issues that are faced by modern society. There is certainly hope that the problems that humans have caused can be remedied. Awareness of environmental issues is hitting record numbers. A January 2020 survey by the Pew Research Center determined that 64% of U.S. adults believe that protecting the environment should be a top priority for the government, topping issues such as the federal budget deficit and the job market. However, the amount of action our society is taking is sharply out of step with this level of awareness.

For example, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, more than $36 million was spent on environmental lobbying in 2019 and 2020. However, only 7 of the 421 environmental protection bills that were introduced during this period were enacted into law. Government action overall has been lackluster in comparison to the massive growth in public support for environmentalism. The USDA reported in 2018 that spending on its conservation programs has stagnated in recent times and that this trend is projected to endure through 2023.

Clearly, the best solution to environmental problems does not center on public institutions. We can make a much greater impact by evaluating and taking steps to reduce our personal environmental footprints. This more direct approach is effective and a lot easier. The statistics are alarming. The average American creates 1642 pounds of trash, 20.4 metric tons of CO2 emissions, and uses 22 barrels of oil per year. One could argue that this is a necessary drawback of living in a developed country, but these numbers are much lower in other wealthy nations such as Norway, Denmark, and the United Kingdom. These figures illustrate our country’s large discrepancy between those who believe the environment should be protected and those who are willing to act on this belief. There is no point in hoping for the planet to be preserved for future generations if we are unwilling to give up the conveniences that endanger this future.

By making small sacrifices such as utilizing public transportation instead of driving, cutting down on single-use plastics, and recycling all that we can, we can make a large impact and contribute to something greater than ourselves- a movement to save our planet for generations to come. You can go the distance and choose to invest in green technologies or help fund private organizations that are involved in conservation efforts. You can educate others and be the spark that ignites an inferno of change. There are numerous examples of these creative, innovative initiatives all over the world. In Kenya, a young materials scientist is helping to reduce pollution through the development of plastic bricks that are 35% cheaper and 7 times stronger than standard bricks. In India, engineers are constructing plants to convert rotting vegetables from local food markets into biogas that produces electricity and burns cleaner than fossil fuels.

The possibilities are endless, but the message is clear- the potential of individuals to influence the world around them is enormous. Too many people say they care about the environment but refuse to stop their participation in activities and support of practices that worsen environmental problems. We cannot blame other people, governments, and large corporations when we ourselves are accelerating the deterioration of our planet's health. We need to take matters into our own hands and work hard until we can honestly say that we have done our best to make our lifestyles as sustainable as possible.

 

Works Cited

Center for Responsive Politics. (n.d.). Environment: Lobbying, 2020. OpenSecrets.org. opensecrets.org/industries./lobbying.php?cycle=2020&ind=Q11.

Chilcoat, C. (2015, March 27). How Much Crude Oil Do You Consume On A Daily Basis? Nasdaq. nasdaq.com/articles/how-much-crude-oil-do-you-consume-on-a-daily-basis-2015-02-27.

Geetanath, V. (2021, January 18). Bowenpally vegetable market generates own green power. The Hindu. thehindu.com/news/national/telangana/bowenpally-vegetable-market-generates-own-green-power/article33600682.ece.

GovTrack. (n.d.). Environmental Protection. GovTrack.us. govtrack.us/congress/bills/subjects/environmental_protection/6038#congress=116.

Juliani, T., & Pearson, P. (2020, September 24). Is Biogas a "Green" Energy Source? WWF. worldwildlife.org/blogs/sustainability-works/posts/is-biogas-a-green-energy-source.

Patta, D. (2021, May 31). Meet the woman turning Kenya's plastic waste problem into a building solution: Plastic bricks. CBS News. cbsnews.com/news/ocean-pollution-kenya-plastic-bricks-eye-on-earth/.

Pew Research Center. (2020, August 21). Environmental Protection Rises on the Public's Policy Agenda As Economic Concerns Recede. Pew Research Center - U.S. Politics & Policy. pewresearch.org/politics/2020/02/13/as-economic-concerns-recede-environmental-protection-rises-on-the-publics-policy-agenda/.

United States Department of Agriculture. (2020, October 5). Conservation spending remained roughly level in recent years, a trend projected to continue through 2023. USDA ERS - Chart Detail. ers.usda.gov/data-products/chart-gallery/gallery/chart-detail/?chartId=99510.

University of Michigan. (n.d.). U.S. Environmental Footprint Factsheet. U.S. Environmental Footprint Factsheet | Center for Sustainable Systems. css.umich.edu/factsheets/us-environmental-footprint-factsheet.


The author's comments:

I am passionate about conservation and hope that I can educate others on the importance of protecting our planet and promoting sustainability in our day-to-day lives. We must think about our actions and consider how they affect the world around us.