What Matters to Me? | Teen Ink

What Matters to Me?

What are things I care about? I care about whether or not people have jobs, or homes, seeing trash on the beach, and recycling. Some people won’t care, or can ignore it, but I on the other hand cannot. These things bother me because it ruins the Earth and it makes me feel sad and ashamed of what the United States has let happen to our society.

The first thing I said was people not having homes or jobs. When I’m in a car driving home I usually see two or three people in the middle of the road on the curb with a cardboard sign asking for money. This makes me feel horrible because I see them and then think of what I have. I’m very fortunate for the life I have and people should see how fortunate they are and be more grateful for their lives. I want to help people and take action, I want to give them some money, or clothes, food, anything needed to help them make progress other than just living out their days homeless, or jobless.

The next thing I mentioned is seeing trash on the beach. This is a big problem. People will throw trash on the beach and it harms the environment, as well as the wildlife. Sea Turtles that are born will get stuck in the trash and not be able to get out of it. As a result, they end up not living to see another day because birds usually get to them, or the sun is too hot and we can’t help them in time. I think we should try to pick up trash anytime we go to the beach, and I think we should have trash cans at the end of the public boardwalks so people can easily throw things away.

My final reason is recycling. Recycling can help our Earth greatly. Energy can be saved by remaking material out of already made aluminum, or steel for example. It also helps because throwing everything in the trash can isn’t good. Anything that you throw in the trash ends up being taken to landfills and poured into the tons and tons of trash there is. Recycling on the other hand helps greatly not only because it reduces the amount of energy used, but also because it saves resources, decreases the amount of energy used, and much more.

These are the things that I care about. Homeless, or jobless people, litter, and recycling. Even though there are more problems these are the ones that come to mind first when I think about what I care about. Helping doing your part can help greatly because it helps the environment, and we want to help the Earth as much as we can because we made it this way, and we are the only ones that can do something about it, since we inhabit it.