How Transportation Aids In Climate Change, And How We Can Fix It | Teen Ink

How Transportation Aids In Climate Change, And How We Can Fix It

May 31, 2019
By a21somers BRONZE, Lisle, New York
a21somers BRONZE, Lisle, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The United States is a global superpower, so it is up to us to lead the way for clean air laws.  As human impact on climate change is becoming irreversible, it is important for us to understand how to decrease our individual carbon footprint.  In the United States, one of the biggest sources of emissions is transportation. We rely on transportation to get to our jobs, school, and for our economy, but understanding where these emissions come from can aid us in coming up with new legislation that will decrease the amount of emissions we produce and help us save the planet.  

Transportation accounts for around one-fifth of all United States emissions, emitting about 24 pounds of carbon dioxide and other toxic gases per gallon of gas.  The United States has almost complete dependence on petroleum fuels, but switching to cellulosic biofuels can reduce emissions up to 80%. However, biofuels are a fairly technology, and a lot more research is needed in order to begin using these fuels as a substitute for fossil fuels.  

In addition to pushing for new legislation, which can take months or years to go into effect, the government can raise awareness about what individual people can do to reduce emissions.  One of the simplest things a person can do is choose to drive less. People can choose to walk, ride a bike, carpool, or use public transportation systems. If driving is a necessity, people can choose to buy fuel efficient vehicles, reduce idling, and drive more efficiently by going easy on the gas and brake pedals.  People can also reduce their carbon footprint by choosing to buy manual lawn mowers, and battery powered lawn care machines. There is only one Earth, and it is important that we take climate change seriously, and act quickly to ensure our planet’s ability to sustain life.


The author's comments:

I am a high school senior who is interested in Politics.  I have a desire to save the planet and stop climate change.