Has Cartoon Network Crossed a Line? | Teen Ink

Has Cartoon Network Crossed a Line?

By lookhere94 GOLD, Coram, New York
lookhere94 GOLD, Coram, New York

As you probably know, out of the three big cable television networks for children, Cartoon Network definitely has the edgiest shows. Currently, there is surrealist shows like Regular Show and The Amazing World of Gumball (the former of which came from a short created by J.G. Quintel while in film school called “2 in the AM, PM” about two gas station attendants that get high and hallucinate) and there is a post-apocalyptic show about a boy that goes on adventures. If you guessed that the latter was Adventure Time with Finn and Jake, you are right. The language on the show that is age inappropriate at best is not the true reason that parents are up in arms over the show. The reason why is a debatable lesbian subtext that arose in one of the episodes.

Basically, some background into the episode is that a being steals the possessions of the protagonists and their friends and they quest to get it back. Then, after a large amount of argument, they reach a door that can only be opened by singing. The song that Marceline sings implies heavily that she had at one point (and may even still have) feelings for Princess Bubblegum. Then after they reclaim all the stolen goods and they are redistributing them, it is revealed that Marceline gave Princess Bubblegum a T-shirt that she only wears to bed.

Now, I’m confused. Have we reached a point where we are saying that same-sex relationships are wrong? Why is it that the parent groups are up in arms over this when, in reality (as real as this can get), it does not imply a sexual relationship between the characters. Moreover, it actually is helpful showing that same-sex relationships have the same components of a heterosexual relationship. And lets be honest, I did not catch this until the second time I watched it and I am 18. So lets calm down and let them do what they want.

Response to the Adventure Time episode "What Was Missing"