The Korean Wave | Teen Ink

The Korean Wave

By hood3243 BRONZE, Camas, Washington
hood3243 BRONZE, Camas, Washington

It’s no secret that the entertainment industry in Korea has sky rocketed. Although it is not common knowledge in America, the rest of the world has fallen in love with South Korea’s K-pop (Korean pop) and their never ending supply of dramas. K-pop is a multimillion dollar industry that has captivated the youth all around the world. Charmed with their catchy songs, correlated dance moves and beauty, k-pop groups have become huge. Popular groups include bands like 2ne1, 2pm, SNSD, f(x). Huge concerts put on by the music companies are put on all around the world, SM Entertainment, one of the leading k-pop companies, just recently put on a two day concert in Tokyo and has another one planed at Madison Square Garden coming up this October. With k-pop Idols constantly feeling the threat of younger new groups, some have decided to test the waters acting in one of Korea’s most popular attraction, their dramas. Korea’s dramas are usually about 15-20 episodes that are all about the same story. They usually do not have multiple series so it is easy to keep track of all the new dramas. However, the working conditions for k-pop idols, actors and actresses have recently been under attack for its poor working condition and long hours. The k-pop stars have also been reported that they are barely paid any money for all the long hours of training and practice they put in. Unlike stars in America, the idols are seen as regular employees in the mind of the companies and since putting on k-pop performances is extremely expensive, there is not very much money left for the stars. In addition, since most k-pop groups range from 4-13 members, the money also has to be split among them. Beside the rough edges that are still being smoothed over, the k-pop and k-drama industry is growing rapidly and becoming immensely popular in Asia and Europe. Although k-pop may not be well known in the United States, at the speed that this tidal wave is coming, it is sure to hit America soon.

I was inspired to write this article because not very many Americans know about the Korea entertainment industry and how popular it is amoung other countries.

ElsyM GOLD said...
on Sep. 15 2013 at 1:57 am
ElsyM GOLD, Conway, Arkansas

"Carpe diem"

I've been a fan of Kpop for 3-4 years, although I've been a fan of Kdramas for 5-6. I'm glad that you mentioned it, because it's such a big part of East Asia's entertainment industry. One can go to the Philippines, China, the Middle East, Brazil even, and catch a glimpse of Kdrams and Kpop.   But I'm no longer such an obsessed fan. :( I've been much happier NOT trying to be like a Kpop star. And I might end up losing chances to broaden my view of the world if I only rely on Kpop. I've known for a long time now that I can only become a star through learning and being myself, then trying to make myself like like SNSD;((((( *WEEP

Starkwon said...
Starkwon, New York, New York

"if i was two-faced, would i be wearing this one?" ~Abraham Lincoln

range is 3-13 JYJ is only 3 people. ( i think)

Lacer GOLD said...
Lacer GOLD, Highland Village, Texas

The thing about philosophy is that it often runs dry when thought of so shallowly.

The purpose of this articale is convulated. First off, vocabulary. Make sure all your words have their intended meaning (correlated; it should be choreographed). Second (and the BIGGEST), you only give me information, and for that matter, you give ALL of it. Why do I care that the pop stars are treated badly? Is your purpose to help them, or advertise them? Why are you telling us its coming if its not catching on, why are you telling us if you know it will?

Your descriptions of most of the work seems shallow. The music sounds like it was half masted (I don't use profanity anymore) and the TV shows sound like they're boring, not thought out, bland, and have little diversity for viewers by your description. You point out very little good points of Korean pop culture, you only tell us everything you know about it, and tell us its great. You need to get some inside information, like find an actual critic of music/television to support you, otherwise, your just a weeaboo (I think thats what I'm talking about...). You actually make Korean pop culture sound boring and even bad when you say "Its great. I'd know. Oh, also It's a huge hit everywhere else." It's condescending. Never condescend!

Get some evidence to back up your point, don't tell us things that happened, tell us the important things that happened; awards, nominations, well known celebrities, places traveled, actual examples. Don't just dump information on me, it frustrates readers that they read about something, but learned very little. 

wordjunkie BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Good! I've heard of k-pop actually, though not much. good job.

on Sep. 17 2011 at 12:49 am
Love.Hate.Passion., Spring Valley, Illinois

~Hope. Faith. Love~
~Be proud of who you are.You are all unique in a different way.~
~I WILL NOT fade into oblivion , and become less than
a distant memory.~

Informative , short , and very descriptive. Good job!

5 stars :)