What Has Happened? | Teen Ink

What Has Happened?

December 13, 2009
By Jessica330 SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
Jessica330 SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
5 articles 1 photo 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sing as if no one was listening. Dance as if no one was watching. And live each day as if it were your last." -Author Unknown

"A girl should be so lost in God that a guy must seek Him to find her." -Author Unknown


What has happened? Our society worships plastic and paper. At this very moment, sitting in cold, metal racks at every grocery store across the nation, millions of two-dimensional people stare out at the everyday American with blank expressions. These idols have caused many girls to drool over and hang onto every last word of these fake figures. To think that our entire country puts the lives of famous people under a microscope just because they can sing well is extremely disappointing. In fact, if you look at all of the facts, many famous singers are only famous because they have connections to people in high places. Some do not even have actual talent. Why is it that there are many people in our own towns that have amazing talent yet will never be recognized for it? Connections should not be the defining key to idolatry. There are so many people that contribute so much to our world only to be treated with disrespect that should be treated so much better. Our world has become so dependant on gossip and glamour that it has forgotten the true things that matter in life. Caught up in the tragedy of the famous, the world has forgotten the real people around them who give so much and yet gain so little.

The people who thrive on the latest gossip magazine stating that another celebrity couple has split up and another pop star has confessed to doing drugs should stop and consider all of the positive things happening in their own city. When times are tough and the world seems to drag you down, think of all the good that is being done in your own backyard. And smile.


The author's comments:
After watching the news and saw all of the publicity that Tiger Woods' cheating scandal was getting, I realized just how ridiculous the celebrity coverage was and decided to share my point of view with Teen Ink.