Chess, and It's New-Found Popularity | Teen Ink

Chess, and It's New-Found Popularity MAG

By JonBai GOLD, Beijing, Other
JonBai GOLD, Beijing, Other

"Our reality is narrow, confined, and fleeting. Whatever we think is important right now, in our mundane lives, will no longer be important against a grander sense of time and space..."

- Liu Cixin

From the first time I moved my pawn to E4 to now, three years later, you and I have been inseparable. I was part of the first rush of popularity after watching “The Queen’s Gambit,” which, in my opinion, is the greatest piece of chess cinematography ever. As I fell into the rabbit hole, I discovered Gotham Chess; I stayed up late curled up in my bed, watching every video until my eyelids shut. Sometimes, I struggle, losing game after game, failing puzzle after puzzle, but I can’t stop.

My first checkmate was a massive boost of confidence. I felt like I was invincible — an unbreachable wall. But no matter how much confidence I rack up, I get shaken back into reality with a brutal loss. I learned to get back up. No matter how devastated I was, I kept playing, moving my pieces in an endless battle to increase my rating. As my interest grew, I felt that every time I clicked the play button, it was a war — a struggle I must win. I visualized my pawns leading the cavalry into battle, an epic story to be recounted!

As my chess prowess grew, my interest branched out into the real world, leading me to participate in matches against other people face-to-face. The freedom of chess captivates me, you can play any opening you want, and no one can stop you, such as the infamous Botez Gambit. The feeling of making a brilliant move, sacrificing a piece, or even saving a losing position is more exhilarating than words can describe!

Chess is a huge part of my life, and I felt that it's about time for me to convey my feelings to the world and potentially inspire others to follow suit and discover the beauty of the game...