Duct Tape Can Fix Everything | Teen Ink

Duct Tape Can Fix Everything

By LBur894620 BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
LBur894620 BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado

“Hi, Phil Swift here with flex tape. The super strong waterproof tape. That can instantly patch, bond, seal and repair.”  Most of you know this ad, not because of the ad itself. But because of the humor surrounding this ad, made popular by JonTron. The ones who had seen this video, if posed with the question, which is better, Duct Tape or Flex Tape? You would instantly respond with Flex Tape.

That's what I thought. I got tricked into buying this product, which is a complete waste of time and money. I would, in every circumstance, use duct tape. Has anyone ever made a bridge out of flex tape? No. But they have made one out of duct tape. They have made a working plane, a boat, a cannon and has lifted a 5000 pound car. Why would we even consider buying Flex tape when the magic of duct tape exists?

I have one answer. Humor.

With so many people staying on their phones looking to entertain themselves, humor stands out. We see so many boring commercials that more and more big brands like Old Spice, Allstate and Aflac are using more of a humor based advertising, and it’s working. A study in 1993 from the Journal of Marketing states, “humor is more likely to enhance recall, evaluation, and purchase intention when the humorous message coincides with ad objectives.” And this study is getting more and more relevant.

The few ads that stand out in my mind are ads like the old spice mom commercial, the thing that makes you laugh. A senior social media manager from cisco, Tim Washer, says, “Humor, when executed properly, helps cut through the noise and helps you stand out. If you can make someone laugh, there is an emotional connection with them. And anything you say beyond that is going to be more meaningful.”  I want to ask you, is there any memorable commercials you remember that have no humor associated with them? Because there are none that pop into my mind.

Even without the power of advertising, duct tape has become a staple in most households. The only reason for this is its pure versatility. Do you want to hang up a drawing? Duct tape. Do you want to mail a package? Duct tape. Do you want to build a bridge? Duct tape. There is a reason for the saying, ‘duct tape can fix anything.’