Teenage Video Game Addiction | Teen Ink

Teenage Video Game Addiction

By yahboyymike BRONZE, Stafford, Virginia
yahboyymike BRONZE, Stafford, Virginia

Dear Readers:

Most games today are made to appeal to the teenage mind using the content in the game to attract younger audiences. Some teens even prioritize video games over school work so their grades and social life suffer. teenagers are addicted to video games because games are more appealing to teenagers and has a negative effect on their lives.

Some game developers are making games more appealing to teenagers. According to Dr. Brent Conrad, clinical psychologist, “Approximately 5%-10% of teenagers who play video games get addicted” (“Teenagers Addicted to Computer Games”).  Game developers design games so that they appeal to teenage gamers by showing fighting and graphic content that is more alluring to the young mind. Another reason is because some video games have teenage characters that represent that person in real life.

Another reason teenagers are addicted to video games is because it has an obvious negative effect on their lives. Some teens are so addicted to video games they lose certain aspects of life like their social life. Another reason is that some teens that are addicted put video games over school so their grades suffer because they play too many video games. According to Sudipta Jana, “The bad effects of video games are mostly related to the amount of play and the game content” ( “positive and negative effects of video games on teenagers”).

Because games are more appealing to teenagers and has a negative effect on their lives Teenagers are addicted to video games.  If teenagers don't get addicted to video games they might be able to better in school. If they do better in school then they can get a better job and make more money. The end goal is to produce more successful members of society to better our country.

Sincerely,

Michael M.