Medical Marijuana | Teen Ink

Medical Marijuana

By YasemiinOmarii BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
YasemiinOmarii BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

“Prescription drugs are worse than medical marijuana,” a quote by Doctor Drew in a recent study that shows the harmful effects of prescription drugs. Two out of five people in America believe that medical marijuana is more affective then prescribed medications. It is safer and more efficient than most medications, and it also has less side effects. If cannabis is so efficient and is said to be better than prescribed medications, then why is it illegal? Medical Marijuana should be legalized in all 50 states.
Cannabis alleviates symptoms of chronic and/or debilitating diseases. It helps with things such as insomnia, pain, and loss of appetite which are occurring symptoms for people who have cancer or aids. Medical Marijuana is effective at getting rid of nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy which is a treatment used to help fight cancer. It is used as a painkiller and is also said to lessen hallucinogens. These are just some of the many ways Cannabis helps patients with recovering from these symptoms.
Medical Marijuana is not only more effective but it is also cheaper than prescribed medications. One cannabis plant produces about 100 grams of medical marijuana. Point 2 to point 3 grams of it is approximately $4 to $5. Prescription medication costs about $30 to $60 depending on what it’s used for. If the government chooses to make medical marijuana legal and puts a tax on it, then the government will make more of a profit. Medical Marijuana is labeled as a cash crop in places like California because of the profit it brings them. Not only will medical marijuana help sick patients but it will also bring more money to the government.
Cannabis is timeless; it has helped people throughout history. As early as 2900 BC, it was seen as a very popular medicine to the Chinese Emperor. Also in 200 BC, in ancient Greece, cannabis was used as a home-remedy for earache, edema, inflammation, and many other things. Many centuries later in 1996, California became the first state to legalize cannabis. Finally in 2012, more than 15 states in United States have made it legal. Overtime, medical marijuana has been a very big controversy but overall the pros outweigh the cons.
Medical Marijuana has saved the lives of many. For instance a young boy by the name of Joey was diagnosed with autism at a very young age. His symptoms were very severe and dangerous, so severe that the doctors said he wouldn’t survive. His mother was told he would never speak again, and never live a normal life. It was taking a toll on the entire family and it was very heart-breaking to know they could lose Joey. At the time Joey was taking six different prescribed medications at once which were all taking a toll on Joey’s body. Nothing was working if anything it was making him worse. Having nothing left, Joey’s mother turned to medical marijuana, something she thought she would never do. Within weeks she noticed a difference for the better. Joey was stronger and healthier. As time passed Joey’s symptoms seemed to slowly vanish, and he proved everyone wrong by being able to do things such as speak and walk. From these improvements alone Joey’s mother strongly believes medical marijuana saved her sons life.

There is only one and one reason alone why medical marijuana isn’t legal and that is because it isn’t FDA approved. One reason the FDA will not approve medical marijuana is because no other medications are smoked. However, if medical marijuana is proved to save the lives of more people then prescription drugs, why would it matter whether or not it is smoked? Also, cannabis may be taken in numerous ways, so is this really a valid excuse? Everyday people are being over-dosed with several over the counter medications yet no one thinks that it’s wrong because all those medications are FDA approved. Medical Marijuana is the right choice because it is safer and more efficient then prescription drugs.
Many people are taking extreme actions in order to legalize medical marijuana. From sending letters to the president, to protesting on every street corner, people are in it to win it. Americans are taking a stand because they need something that is more effective than their day to day prescription drugs. Not only are citizens protesting but they’re influencing others to join their cause by educating those who are oblivious on how medical marijuana works. These actions the citizens are taking may or may not change the decision of the government, but it is worth a shot.
Medical Marijuana is controversial but from the evidence it is obvious that it is beneficial to the buyer and the seller. It is effective, cost efficient, and has shown signs of being very favorable throughout time. Cannabis has saved the lives of many who didn’t have a chance of living, it gave them hope. Also, it has many more pros then cons. Overall, medical marijuana is more desirable then prescription drugs. The evidence is very clear that medical marijuana should be legal in all 50 states due to these reasons. "If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change."- Buddha