“Coping With an Addictive Parent” | Teen Ink

“Coping With an Addictive Parent”

By BMangas10 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
BMangas10 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

This writing is titled “Coping With an Addictive Parent” written by Heather from Lexington, Kentucky. She talks about her story about her alcohol addicted mother along with some tips on how to deal with a situation like her. My opinion of it is I don't think she should of put it out there                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          this personal story. I don't relate to this but I can understand what she is feeling. I agree with the article and it’s tips on how to deal with addiction within a parent.

Heather is a nine year old girl that lives that lives with her addiction ridden mother along with her father trying to be her main parental figure. It is questioned by herself if she should feel safe anymore depending on her mother’s ability to drive sober or intoxicated. It is revealed that her mother faced a serious blow to her recover when she got a divorce with Heather’s father allowing her to become even more dependent on alcohol. Even though she is now living with her dad full time she still wants to help her mother but constantly faces constant issues with her mother. This goes to show how much she wants to help her mom even through all of the torture she goes through, this is supported by this line: “I didn't want to leave her, but the reality of the situation was screaming at me everyday.” another line that supports this is in a section where she gives her advice on how to deal with addictive parents or loved ones. The line reads, “Let them know you love them and you want them to get better.” This shows Heather well has the knowledge on how to deal with her mother.