Take a Stand Against Homelessness | Teen Ink

Take a Stand Against Homelessness

By isabelleyu BRONZE, San Bruno, California
isabelleyu BRONZE, San Bruno, California

'You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there's still going to be somebody who hates peaches.’

In our society. there has been a social issue that has been overlooked for centuries now and it is time to take a stand. We walk around the streets noticing people less fortunate than us and barely anyone thinks about making a change for once. We need to encourage people to help the poor and to supply them with needs. In California, there are roughly around 114,000 people that are homeless which are around ¼ of the population that is suffering. Many people assume that homeless people choose to be homeless, but that isn’t the case at all. In fact, the top three reasons for homelessness are Income/housing affordability, health, and escaping violence. It is known that around 90% of all homeless women experience domestic or sexual abuse and escaping that environment is the leading cause of their homelessness.

So, how can you help? For one, you could help give homeless people a voice. To encourage people to take an action, you can help document the life of a homeless person to bring awareness to the consequences and struggles of living on the streets. The second thing you can do is to volunteer. Helping your local homeless shelter can help benefit or make a difference from answering phones to serving food. The last thing is donating. Donating old clothes or money can help give back to others less fortunate than us. Now, will you be the one to take a stand against homelessness?