Equality Needs to be Heard | Teen Ink

Equality Needs to be Heard

By potato18 GOLD, Sacramento, California
potato18 GOLD, Sacramento, California

"Even the greatest was once a beginner. Don't be afraid to take that first step."

In one word, racism has been described as hatred and is still remembered to this very day. Many other hot topics falls under racism as while such as nationalism, discrimination, and etc. And it gets people of all colors to their feet and cries wanted to be heard for equality. But then one confusing thing is that why is equality being promise to all American citizens but not being practiced and taught to all? And racism still continues on to this day and has many followers as well. This issue is big but isn’t being discussed and fixed fully which causes many to pick sides instead of being united.

Being human isn’t a crime we all have the right to live equally, with rights, liberty, and the right to pursue happiness nor your color or race. And with this issue of greed led many strong leaders to stand up and protest against the racism and no equality like Martin Luther King Jr, Malcolm X , Nelson Mandela and Mahatma Gandhi. “I believe in human beings, and that all human beings should be respected as such, regardless of their color.” said Malcolm X. This quote is saying that no matter who says it of racism everyone has the same amount of rights.

There are many that protest against this issue a such as celebrities and athletes. Recently San Diego 49ers quarterback, Colin Kaepernick has been protesting during the national anthem by standing. “There’s a lot of racism disguised as patriotism in this country. And people don’t like address that; and they don’t like to address what the root of the protest is.” Kaepernick said in a CNN interview. And this very protest shocked the viewer not just once but a couple of times; everyone sees his perspective on protest and just hated on the act. It also gets more entering because he is a colored athlete and Donald Trump just had to tweet about it. “To all the athletes who had millions in America’s freedom: stop insulting our flag, our nation, our heroes.”

Many victims or families of them or those against injustice of equality and racism are angry but has not enough power to change anything. And statistically these people are colored Americans who were promised that will have same amount of respect, rights and opportunities in life. But those promises were broken and is stacking up with the anger of many citizens. Because there are many case of police brutality and colored males getting killed while unarmed. So then that cause many to support a well known protest called “Black Lives Matter” no matter what color as long as you support. And this shows the pain and anger of them but people who is against problem has no empathy in them. Because no matter what no one has the right to kill or discrimination another human being. Liked Malcolm X stated “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”

This issue is big but isn’t being discussed and fixed fully which causes many to pick sides instead of being united. Being human isn’t a crime we all have the right to live equally, with rights, liberty, and the right to pursue happiness nor your color or race. Is equality real being practiced? Injustice still live with us and is need to be improved. “We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.”- MLK