“Let Freedom Ring” | Teen Ink

“Let Freedom Ring”

By Karaamos BRONZE, Independence, Missouri
Karaamos BRONZE, Independence, Missouri

It has been seen and heard daily across the nation that today's society has still not developed the full concept of equality and what it stands for. Historical moments in this nation’s past, and laws today, hold a meaning that needs to be accepted and followed by everyone. From past occasions with the Martin Luther King era, to recent street shootings around the country, it has been viewed that everyone is not being treated equally in the United States, not so united at all.  Throughout the United States, racism continues to be a big issue that we need correct once and for all.

“I have a dream that one day [all parts of the nation] will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice” (M.L.K. speech). This quote defines the hope that Martin Luther King had. When he says, “transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice,” he is metaphorically saying that equality and freedom and peace should fill everyone and be everywhere. This ties in with the recent accident in Raleigh, North Carolina, early March, where a police officer shot 24 year old, Akiel Denkins, for no reason. Officers say that the Denkins was thought to be in possession of drugs with witnesses say that the suspect did not have a gun and was just trying to flee. The passing of this young man’s life has caused silence for those that knew him but have caused quite the outrage nationwide. Most of all, Akiel’s mother, Rolanda Byrd, has had a lot to say on the sudden passing of her son. In a CNN interview, she said, “They killed my son for no reason. My son didn't have no gun on him. My son wasn't threatening that officer and that officer shot my son seven times. For what? For nothing.” Martin Luther King once said, “ Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred.” This is reflecting somewhat off of today's law enforcers, and the job they withhold. It seems that they also are the ones needed to be reminded of what actions are and aren’t acceptable.

Another issue going on due to this recent killing is with San Diego 49ers quarterback, Colin Kaepernick. This young athlete has recently been protesting on standing during the national anthem before games. "There's a lot of racism disguised as patriotism in this country. And people don't like to address that. And they don't like to address what the root of this protest is," Kaepernick said in a CNN interview. As Kaepernick kneels every game, he has brought support and caused outrage throughout the sports world. U.S. women’s soccer player, Megan Rapinoe have joined this protest, along with Kaepernick’s teammates, Antoine Bethea, Eli Harold, Jaquiski Tartt and Rashard Robinson. Although, individuals against this topic have also had an opinion they are not afraid to share. Republican presidential candidate, Donald Trump,  tweeted early September, “"To all the athletes who have made millions in America's freedom: stop insulting our flag, our nation, our heroes," This shows that some people strongly disagree with Kaepernick’s decision and are offended with his message.

While some may think that we still live in a world full of racism, others may think that we have grown out of that stage many years ago. For instance, there are many professional athletes that are all races, in various sports. There are also many entertainers such as actors, musicians, and artists. Not to mention, our president, the first colored president may I add, is a well respected individual who has greatly shaped our country. Looking at it from both perspectives, it is respectable to say that there are still some improvements needed to be made.It’s nice to know how far we’ve come, but the road is still long. But continuing to educate and inform, we can continue to appreciate all walks of life.

potato18 GOLD said...
potato18 GOLD, Sacramento, California

"Even the greatest was once a beginner. Don't be afraid to take that first step."

I really do agree with you improvements are still needed.I really liked how you prove and support your argument all the way very interesting hope to see more of your works.