StereoTypes | Teen Ink

StereoTypes

By SaraCattt PLATINUM, Shelton, Washington
SaraCattt PLATINUM, Shelton, Washington

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far flung hopes, the dreamer of improbable dreams."- The Eleventh Doctor

I was talking to my friend the other day about finding a tempo in a song. He laughed, and made a remark about Jews not being able to find a beat. I asked what that had to do with anything- and he replied:

“It’s a pretty well known stereotype…”

I shook my head, and ignored further comments.

I have never appreciated stereotypical humor. I might get a ton of ridiculing comments suggesting I’m blowing this out of proportions or taking a joke to seriously. But, isn’t that what needs to happen? I’m all for a good time, but not when it’s suggesting the derision of others, no matter how sarcastic.

We shape the youth of modern society into robots who are programmed to strive for perfection. We put so much weight on being weightless and attractive rather than intelligent and original. I have not met one person who hasn’t wished they could change themselves to appeal to magazine covers, myself included. I have not met one person who doesn't want to shatter the mirror they look into each morning, or paint over their reflection with something better. No one takes the time to appreciate the vivacity of the human mind, the spectacularity of a persons personality. It’s downgraded into files, the modern age being so mechanical. If you’re blonde, you’re naive and you’re career is an immanent job at your local Starbucks. If you wear glasses, you’re a nerd or a geek and you’ll end up at IT. If you’re a guy wearing a pink shirt or a girl with short hair, you’re gay. Where did all of this come from? What does your hair color or your eye sight have to do with anything?

The triviality of society. 

If everyone is smiling, then it’s ok. That is what we have learned, what we’ve taught ourselves. Stereotypes are cheap, shallow ways of getting an easy-laugh from a crowd or a group. Somehow we’ve ended up rewiring our brains to think that someones skin, hair, and eye color will inevitably, undoubtedly predict their future.

It won’t. Everyone’s chorus is different. We shouldn’t throw people into files. Yes, there are trends. Yes, it can be entertaining to acknowledge these trends and tease the people within them. It doesn’t make it right, it doesn’t make it ok. People will however, continue to replay songs, and everyone will end up in a file at some point. But if you, reader, could take a moment, a single second, to compare one thing. Everyone, no matter their heritage, or their interests, their favorite color, has a brain. No, we don’t think the same way. But we all have one. That is the one thing everyone has in common. So if you’re going to judge someone, although I don’t recommend or encourage it, get to know their brain first. Get to know the person inside, listen to their song. Find their tempo, and maybe, just maybe, they won’t be as stereo-typical as you may think.

This was inspired by a real conversation I had. I know this has been written a million times, but I really want people to understand, even if it takes a monthly reminder like this (because I'm sure that's how often it's written about.)

Also, the theme was tempo's and music, and I think I combined that nicely with "Stereo types," like a stereo. *Self fives*

I put a lot of work into it, so I really hope it reaches people not just visually, but emotionally.