The Injustice of Guantanamo Bay | Teen Ink

The Injustice of Guantanamo Bay

By Regoneth SILVER, Ilford, Other
Regoneth SILVER, Ilford, Other

“Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cake hole.” - Dean Winchester, Supernatural.

Martin Luther King said, ‘Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.' We will never be able to understand what it feels like to be tortured consistently not knowing what we have done. But we can try to understand and stop 12 years of injustice faced by those imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay.
Not one detainee in the camp has been given a trial to prove that they have committed a crime that required for them to be sent to Guantanamo, subsequently, punished. However, America and the United States still don’t seem to have any problem with sending these, as far as we know, innocent people to be tortured mercilessly without reason. Guantanamo Bay should most certainly close down if it encourages the illegal and unwarranted imprisonment of people.
No one actually knows what goes on behind the closed doors of the camp. However, nothing can be hidden forever. Guantanamo is actually a notorious detention camp know for vastly using enhanced interrogation techniques on the detainees or what is commonly known as illegal torture methods. A report of the camp told us that doctors, ‘designed and participated in inhumane torture of the detainees.’ Those imprisoned are forced to endure sexual assault and humiliation, they are made to sit in extreme temperatures and are used as lab rats to test out life threatening medicine which was, in fact, ban since the World War. These are only a few of many techniques used. Yes I agree that America can jail those who have broken their laws, but robbing people of their human rights in this way, is outwardly unjustified and unacceptable. This harsh treatment will obviously end if the camp is closed.
How would you feel if you were forced to stop following your religious teachings just because others didn’t like your religion? Well that what is feel like to be detainee at Guantanamo Bay. It is clearly stated in the Holy Quran that a Muslim is expected to fast during the month of Ramadan. We all understand that. The guards at Guantanamo don’t. During that month all the detainees fast as they are all Muslims. However, the guards have been seen taunting detainees with food and soon after a force feeding procedure was made to force detainees to eat against their will. This procedure is also now used as a form of torture. Muslim discrimination is another reason Guantanamo should be closed as this treatment is angering Muslims around the world and if America do not take any action, then an inevitable uproar from Muslims will follow this in excusable bullying.

My last point, however, is my concern for the US’s safety. Al Qaeda, as you know, are a Muslim terrorist group who are looking for any excuse to harm America. Guantanamo Bay, being the heart of Muslim torture, is angering Al Qaeda and this may be a form provocation for the Al Qaeda to attack. This is a case of ‘an eye for an eye.’ The longer Guantanamo is open, the longer it will be available to Al Qaeda to use as an excuse to hurt innocent Americans. Even Jim Carter, a previous president of the US said, ‘What has happened at Guantanamo Bay gives terrorists an unwarranted excuse to hurt innocent people.’ If even a president agrees to this, I cannot help but wonder why America is still debating the closing of the camp.
I think Guantanamo should close down because it encourages illegal torture, discriminates against Muslims and endangers America and the United States.

A speech I wrote for an English Debate. Please comment, rate and critisise my work as much as you like. Thanks :)