To be or not to be | Teen Ink

To be or not to be

By TanviKusum DIAMOND, Gurgaon, Other
TanviKusum DIAMOND, Gurgaon, Other

All men who have achieved great things have been great dreamers.
Orison Swett Marden

"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say." - Anais Nin

we speak in hushed voices so as to not wake our memories

Who will decide what is unnatural? The Indian Supreme Court’s decision to criminalize gay sex met with a lot of opposition, but apparently not enough. I want to pose this question to one and all, what is religion and morality on whose grounds we trample minority rights? The reasons to criminalize the Gay community is to protect the social fabric, religious sentiments and moral values, but can we as a society afford to ignore the rights of people living with us? The idea of making gays illegal seems to be as absurd as racism because both these phenomenon have developed with a limited mindset and no understanding of human emotions and thought. I think it is quite weird how we think of the majority as an all powerful god, who will control and guide someone’s preferences; after all it is no one’s business of who someone likes. It reminds me of the time when marriages were arranged and you were only allowed to marry someone from a certain background, isn’t dictating someone’s sexual preferences as passé as that? The whole concept which says that the agreement of majority is the sole reason for taking a decision is faulty in itself, truth is there should be complete freedom to do whatever an individual desires until and unless it doesn’t cause harm to someone else. It is said that being gay leaves a deep negative sociological impact on others but what about the harm bestowed upon the person who is homosexual, doesn’t he have the right to live the way he desires because he is not imposing his decisions on other members of society. Tolerance is what we need at the moment because we do not want to leave another scar on our future generation’s history.

What I feel about the issue of gays. I support them with all my heart and soul and I feel their cause is very relevan