What you didnt see before | Teen Ink

What you didnt see before

By freewriter_123 SILVER, Miramar, Florida
freewriter_123 SILVER, Miramar, Florida

"Whoever said nothing was impossible never tried slamming a revolving door." ;)

A lot of people think discrimination as being black, white, or Hispanic. Discrimination can be about anything. It can be about the shoes you where, how cool you are, where you were born, even the color of your hair. We may not know this but we could be discriminating people every day and we don’t even know it. If your part of that little “Cool” group you may be judging people based on what group there in. Like all the smart kids hanging out, you would refer to them as “geeks.” Or if you see someone with clothes from Justice you may start to judge and say that there so uncool for shopping there. This happens all the time and I have recently seen it happen with my own eyes. I was overhearing this conversation in the bathroom. These cool girls were talking about this girl in their dance class that was so weird for wearing an old navy shirt. That person happened to be my best friend. I got really upset at them. They didn’t even know the whole story and already they were judging her. My friend’s family has been going through so many financial struggles so they can’t afford to get clothes at let say Love culture or Forever 21. So they shopped at TJ max, Wal-Mart. It wasn’t her fault she couldn’t afford the clothes she wanted. So as you can see there are types of discrimination that we see every day, but we just don’t notice. After that day I heard the conversation I promised myself I wouldn’t talk like that about
anybody anymore. I hope you wont either.

I really hope that all of you will do as I did and stop talking like that about people. Believe it or not, it hurts when its about you.

on Jun. 25 2011 at 2:09 am
freewriter_123 SILVER, Miramar, Florida

Yeah it was really raw. Lol and I know i really need to work on grammar. :) I had paragraphs but every time I copy and past it always takes it off for some reason.

awesomeaugust GOLD, Boston, Massachusetts

"Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground"
~Theordore Roosevelt

That's a sad story and a great example of hurtful gossip, and the messge that you're tryign to get across is definitely sincere. However, I think this would affect many more if it were presented in a more proffesional way. It seems like this happend and you threw it together while it was raw. That's sometimes a good thing, but at the least watch out for you speeling and grammar- it makes a big impression on the reader. Keep writing!

freewriter_123 SILVER, Miramar, Florida

I know, I really hope it doesnt just change you but everybody that reads this

Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

Thanks for writing this; it's very true and very wise. Discrimination has changed its form considerably over the centuries. You have encouraged me to recheck my prejudices so that I may abandon them. Thank you for that.