A stand against homophobia. | Teen Ink

A stand against homophobia.

By sarahsinginrain SILVER, Setauket, New York
sarahsinginrain SILVER, Setauket, New York

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephan Sodeim

One of the most prevalent conflicts today is the conflict between those who are homosexual and the anti-gay bias surrounding them. You see it all the time, especially in the most conservative parts of the country. For one, same-sex marriages are only currently granted in five out of the fifty states, and one federal district those being Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Washington D.C. In New York, Rhode Island, and Maryland, same sex marriages are recognized, but not performed. Is this right in a nation of equality? Shouldn’t anyone have the right to marry whoever the choose? This is done out of bias towards people who happen to be different.

Why are people homosexual? Do they wake up and say, "Do i want to be gay today?" Of course not. For one, genetics play a part. More importantly, it's events that happen during a persons lifetime, things that lead them to realizing that they are indeed homosexual. People say homosexuality is not natural. Well, it has been observed in many species in the animal kingdom. In livestock homosexuality is so widespread it's considered normal, and it's been noted widely in every species of primate. Another argument against homosexuality is that it's "gross." Well that word is subjective. I think tomato sauce is gross. I'm not going to be protesting against tomato sauce any time soon, or claiming that anyone who enjoys tomato sauce should burn in hell. The word "gross" is basically just another meaning for "ignorance"

This conflict has been long running around the world. For example, homosexual behavior was outlawed in 1740 by the Chinese government. Police regularly rounded up homosexuals, charging them with “disturbing public order.” People may thing that the modern day united states is a far cry from 18th century china, but not when it comes to this issue.

In the united states, homophobia is widespread. We’ve seen groups of people holding up signs that say “god hate fags”. This disgusts me. Anyone who calls themselves religious is honestly saying that god HATES a group of people because they are DIFFERENT? And this plays out. I'm cathlioc, and in a recent mass my priest was talking about peace. He added in "gay and strait" as an example. The church board didn't like it, because apparently in the bible homosexuality is condemned. He was kicked out because of it. Honestly, anyone who uses a religious motive to justify homophobia is just sick and wrong.

We’ve also seen it politically. For example: In 1994, during the campaign of Oliver North for the U.S. Senate, several of his supporters seen were carrying signs along a Virginia freeway that read, "Homophobia Doesn't Kill.” Really? Do you really want to go into this? Because that is the grave consequence of this conflict. Homophobia kills.

A perfect example is the case of Matthew Shepard. He was a 21-year-old student at the University of Wyoming who was tortured and murdered near Laramie In 1998. All this because he openly announced he was gay. In Shepard’s, it was his sexuality. This is a grave conlict that will not go away unless we stand up for those who deserve standing up for. After all, all men (and women!!) are created equal.

This is a piece that stands up against homophobia. I am a strait teenager writing this, so i feel that adults, who SHOULD be able to have an open mind, need to stop and thing about their prejudices and overcoming them.

on Oct. 20 2012 at 2:40 pm
I'm so happy someone finally got published with a message like this! Why does God have to get involved everytime though... This is an arguement over morals and beliefs... You are all amazing and people should thank you for supporting an amazing cause such as this, ROCK ON!!!

on May. 19 2012 at 10:04 am
BlackKittie SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
well if God is a homophobe too He isn't much of a god is He? i think He would just be happy that the people he loves are happy, and that there's more love on earth. love is love, and last i checked love isn't a sin.

on May. 19 2012 at 10:01 am
i got a question for you. why do you think she's brainwashing? sure as h*** doesn't look like brainwashing to me. it's a thoughtful article expressing an opinion. deal with it bro.

on Mar. 19 2012 at 9:05 am
sweetgirl70 BRONZE, Pelzer, South Carolina

a women is like a rose if u love her right she will bloom

being homo is a sin but god says hate the sin love the sinner and thats my answer for all this junk

on Mar. 19 2012 at 9:03 am

is this all about winning dont yall care what is right dont care god made man and woman no the other way around but i cant talk because i would probally lesbo if i wasnt a christian

on Mar. 14 2012 at 9:00 am
DarkIsThyThought BRONZE, Shishpipkabibble, Pennsylvania

I think I know enough of hate- to say that for destruction ice- is also great- and would suffice.

What is your problem? She has a right to say what she wants to say. and so do you. I can't tell you that what you said is wrong, but it is certaintly not nice. You are mean, Victory.

on Nov. 3 2011 at 11:23 pm
RumMonkey BRONZE, Sunny Side Somewhere, Other

"I dream I'm on the surface of my own life, watching it unfold."

A really thoughtful article. Everyone needs to read something like this:)

on Jul. 16 2011 at 5:30 pm
jdotalways SILVER, Williamsburg, Kentucky

tis better to have loved and lost then to have never loved at all.

how dare u say who god accepts in heaven? huh? i dont agree or disagree with this artile, i mean yeh homosexuality is wrong, but how is someones sexuality any of your business?

on Jul. 1 2011 at 2:00 pm
toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

Who are you to say for whom the good guy has a place for? ain't it really up to him/her/it? god hates no one and nothing. god loves all. be it a muslim allah or a chrisian lord or a hindu krishna (sorry hindus i'm badly versed), they love all and give a chance to all, because they are eternally wise.

Victory said...
on Jun. 27 2011 at 8:49 pm
i got a question for you. why do you brainwash people???

on Jun. 25 2011 at 3:21 pm

God doesn't have a place for me in heaven? Seriously? Being an ignorant person who thinks others are less because of something they were born with and have no control over has a place in heaven? I am person who treats everyone equally. "Love thy neighbor like thyself." Did you forget about that? Don't you tell me that i'm going to hell, and I will not delete my writing. Plus, gay marriage just got legalized in my state. So, me and the other "supporters" are winning, not you. So learn some tolerance. 

Tribulation said...
on Jun. 25 2011 at 10:49 am
Since you supporters demand others to like this sin, I demand you delete this. You are a liar and deceiving person- Go.d has no place for you in Heaven. 

Tribulation said...
on Jun. 25 2011 at 10:46 am
Go.d hates sin and this is a sin. Plain and simple folks. 

on Jun. 24 2011 at 12:16 pm

This post is wrong and uncalled for. You call yourself a Christian? I go to church every single sunday and I sing in the choir. However, I am also a very liberal person and I just want you to know that it is people like you who are making the world the way it is today. Don't you dare tell me that it was sinful for me to write this. Basically you say that gays don't deserve the same rights as everyone else? That they aren't equal to us heterosexuals? What happened to "God Love Everyone?" Huh? What about that? You "Christian?" I don't give a crap what the bible says, I am going to remain fully supportive of gay rights. You disgust me and people like you are the reason that after high school I am not going to practice religion anymore, I can't stand the intolerance. 

on Mar. 6 2011 at 12:10 pm
EyesofBlueFire GOLD, Belleville, Illinois

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." Dumbledore, Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling.

Thank you for this. As someone who's personally experienced the discrimination and terrible "hate crime" problems, this meant alot to see such openmindedness. I've been pushed down stairs, kicked, and whatnot all for just having a girlfriend. It's ridiculous, and you're right, it needed to be said.

Da.Rae BRONZE said...
on Dec. 30 2010 at 1:59 pm
Da.Rae BRONZE, Osceola Mills, Pennsylvania

Thank you for writing this. It needed to be said. Great job.

--Da Rae

on Oct. 3 2010 at 4:20 pm
kao-chanu SILVER, Central, Utah
thank you for writing this, someone needed to. however it needs a little revising, and this could be mag material! i love it. thanks again..

on Jul. 29 2010 at 4:55 pm
toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

absolutely agree with you! maybe one day the world will grow out of homophobia

on May. 2 2010 at 6:53 pm
IsobelFree DIAMOND, Hamilton, Other

"As long as there is open road, the familiar has the most formidable competitor." - Anonymous

Thank you so much for this! Like you, I am also straight, but I firmly believe that everyone has the right to love and be happy. Every point you made here was clear and right. Thank you!

on Apr. 28 2010 at 1:18 pm
MarinaOreo GOLD, King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania

"Your soul is the whole world" -Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

This is the argument I am always making! Way to get your argument across! This is agreat :) Thank you for yet another person being open-minded!