Tainted Love | Teen Ink

Tainted Love MAG

By dkcalpolo89 BRONZE, Moraga, California
dkcalpolo89 BRONZE, Moraga, California

Can you imagine not being allowed to marry the person you love? Well, this is precisely what same-sex couples are told every day in our country. Although the California Supreme Court has ruled that it is legal for homosexual couples to marry, Proposition 8 was recently passed by California voters outlawing gay marriage. The validity of this proposition is still hotly debated, and our generation may be the ones who will ultimately decide in future voting whether to overturn the same-sex marriage ban. In my opinion, same-sex marriage should be legalized because it is discriminatory to deny homosexuals the right to marry and because granting this right to same-gender couples is harmless to others in our society.

First of all, to ban homosexuals from marrying is to discriminate against them on the basis of their sexual orientation. Our country was founded on Constitutional principles that allow majority rule while protecting the rights of minorities. The freedom to marry the person you love is fundamental. To deny homosexual couples the right to legally marry is no different from denying marriage to Jews because they are not Christian, or interracial couples because they belong to different races.

In the U.S., a legal marriage grants couples many benefits not available to those who are not married. For example, married couples can own property jointly, receive their partner's life ­insurance and health insurance benefits, and be considered next of kin for the purpose of making emergency life-or-death decisions. Therefore, denying homosexual couples the right to marry discriminates against them in violation of the equal protection principles of our Constitution. It prevents homosexual couples from enjoying the legal benefits and privileges that heterosexual married couples take for granted.

Granting same-sex couples the right to marry does not in any way harm other people in our society. For one thing, it's no one's business what personal or love commitments others make. Additionally, many countries as different as Canada, South Africa, Spain, and Sweden have legalized same-sex marriage without any adverse consequences to the general population. Several states, including Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont have also recently repealed their laws banning same-sex marriage, which has in no way changed the quality of life for heterosexuals in those states. So I ask you, will it bring harm to you if homosexuals are allowed to marry?

Opponents of same-sex marriage rely on their religious principles to argue against it; many organized religions consider homosexuality a sin. Yet they forget that the First Amendment of the United States Constitution explicitly prohibits our government from establishing a religion. This means that our government cannot interfere with our right to practice – or decision not to practice – a religion. Therefore, outlawing same-gender marriage because certain religions find homosexuality sinful violates the First Amendment right of individuals who choose not to follow those religions.

Another objection raised by opponents of same-sex marriage is that legalizing it would weaken the institution of marriage, implying that somehow marriage is more sacred when those entering into it are of different genders. However, these folks are a bit hypocritical in that they overlook the real risk to marriage: divorce, which is rampant in our society among heterosexual couples.

An even more common criticism of legalizing same-sex marriage is that it would further weaken the “family values” essential to our society. This ­argument forgets, however, that allowing homosexuals to marry in fact would strengthen the fabric of society by encouraging more couples to commit to building a life together and adopting children who may not otherwise be able find a home. In fact, it is love that keeps a family together, not preconceived notions of what family values ought to be.

Denying homosexuals the right to marry is discriminatory and violates the equal protection of law guaranteed to all by our Constitution. Our generation may indeed be called upon to cast a ballot to overturn the state bans against same-sex marriage. We should vote to overturn these bans to ensure equal treatment for all citizens consistent with our Constitution, and because everyone, regardless of their sexual orientation, should enjoy the freedom to marry the person they love.

purplediamonds GOLD, Closter, New Jersey
@greenbean_94 Ok then, think of it this way. Suddenly the world has flipped. And being gay is now as normal as being straight was. People are telling you that you can't marry a person of the opposite sex, but there is nothing wrong with that because you have the right of marrying someone of the same gender. You say ok then, I guess I'll have to become gay...not. Overall these comments will make you feel like an abberation, and you'll fall into depression with thoughts of suicide. This is what is happening to most LGBTQ members. Even straight people who support gay rights are being tormented. But society is changing, and soon YOU will be an abberation because more society is welcoming LGBTQ people. And trust me, once people really support the gays, they will come and break down your door and will use the excuse "I couldn't help but murder him"

ValerieL BRONZE, Unknown, Tennessee

“Never fall in love?"
"Always," said the count. "I am always in love.”
-Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

Thank you, greenbean_94, for your flawed analogy. It doesn't matter if someone can't help but murder; murder (obviously) harms people. How the heck does it harm you if a chick marries a chick? I can't help but imagine someone seeing a rainbow and being all like, "NOOOOO! I'M MELTING!"

on Feb. 23 2014 at 12:07 am
ShelbyNicolex SILVER, Boca Raton, Florida

After every dark night, there's a brighter day.

I couldn't have said it better myself!  Like I say constantly- all the time- love is love, and love is blind. 

YozoraK PLATINUM, Maumelle, Arkansas

"Life for you has been less than kind/So take a number/Stand in line/We've all been sorry/We've all been hurt/But how we survive/Is what makes us who we are." -'Survive' by Rise Against

Please explain to me how our sexual orinentation is a choice we make.  I don't quite get where you are coming from.

YozoraK PLATINUM, Maumelle, Arkansas

I love your article and how you present it.  I'm just sorry that not everyone is as open-minded as you.  I always consider each side of a story despite what side I stand on.  So even though I'm always pro-gay (I'd be hyprocrital if I wasn't), I take the time to actually listen to the anti-gay side even though it irritates the crap out of me. Like I said, I love your essay, I'm gonna rate it, share it with my buds, favorite it, etc. You are someone I am gonna keep up on. :)

greenbean_94 SILVER, Somerville, Tennessee

"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."

Homosexuals DO have the right to marry,.........someone of the opposite gender!  I think the reason this issue isn't addressed directly in the constitution is that our Founding father's never expected there to be debate over the definition of marriage being between one man and one woman. Homosexuality is a choice, as is everything else we do. If people just dicided that murder was okay or that they can't help it, should be legalize it? I only disagree, not hate. And I should not be forced to support it either. I tried to post my opinion on homosexuality on here. It was not mean or hateful, just my opinion and it got turned down.

on Dec. 17 2012 at 9:35 am
I think you did an excellent job! I am a lesbian and engaged; it's a very difficult situation to be in when you have constant resistance. I am touched that you feel this way about this situation, and I hope people are challenged in their thinking because of your writing. Best wishes! :)

swcricket98 GOLD, Williamson, Georgia

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I agree completely and whole-heartedly. Well done.

Lirion BRONZE said...
Lirion BRONZE, Sheboygan, Wisconsin

You live and you learn. At any rate, you live.
~Douglas Adams

To cyberneticorganism, please remember that we are all humans, and that we are all equal. This includes homosexuals and those who would stand by them. Your comment ignores this fact and reduces these people to something less than human. They are not the only ones, though. You reduce yourself to a hateful, angry troll who has nothing better to do than put down others. Please grow up and learn to accept others as they are. Your comment only reflects poorly on yourself and shows your inferior character and morals.

SkcSuperfan said...
on Sep. 30 2011 at 6:25 am
Omg i am so sorry! Idont know where to put stars! Im new (obviously!) This def deserves 5 stars

on Sep. 30 2011 at 3:33 am
1 star! you are a sick, twisted, perverted troll. I hope you get no comments.

SKCsuperfan BRONZE, Swisher, Iowa

Stand for something or you'll fall for anything.

This is an intriguing article. I live in Iowa with a married, homosexual aunt. She lives a very happy life and we would love her if she married a man. She is one of the coolest people you will meet and I am a better person because of her. I appreciate the support and talent you showed in your article! Keep up the great work!

savetheplanet PLATINUM, Anaheim, California

It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

I'm so glad that you wrote this!  It's well written with logic and emotion.  It gives an intelligent arguement as to why they should homosexuals should have rights. So thanks! :D

callie15 BRONZE, North Plains, Oregon

"I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreamt of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man?"
-Chuang Tzu

"No man with a good car needs to be justified!"
-Wise Blood

i agree with you 110%! i understand that certain religions think that gay marrige is wrong, but that shouldn't stop homosexual couples from getting married. we are not all religious! it doesn't harm anyone, so why shouldn't we? great article, by the way. very well written. brava! brava! brava!

on Dec. 10 2010 at 11:43 am
CourtneyHammett BRONZE, Spartanburg, South Carolina
This is logical, well-organized, and beautifully written. Congrats on getting published. :) Hopefully, minds can be changed by this.

RunsForJoy SILVER, Winnipeg, Other

The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all.

cool, keep up the good work, great article!

Wow, you have some serious talent! I love how this article was written so logically. You're right- banning same-sex marriage because of religious reasons is unconstitutional, and homosexual couples are no more harmful than heterosexual couples to the general population. I think that your article is extremely well written, and it's obvious that you feel very strongly on the subject and that you've given it a lot of thought. Thanks so much for standing up for what you think is right!

Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

Well said! You reasoned your opinion with a convincing blend of logic and of compassion for homosexuals. Your points are all valid, and I admire your ability to see people in this accepting way. Thanks for writing!

brooke said...
rock on! stand for what is right!!!!!

on Mar. 1 2010 at 1:26 am
dkcalpolo89 BRONZE, Moraga, California
haha thanks for the positive grade!