Homosexual and Heterosexual Marriage Rights | Teen Ink

Homosexual and Heterosexual Marriage Rights

November 24, 2009
By apurvis SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
apurvis SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Gay marriage…One of the largest controversies in the nation. Who a person chooses to love and wants to spend the rest of their life with is their decision. In the article “Abolish Marriage” Michael Kinsley states, “Mutually consenting sex with the person of your choice in the privacy of your own home is now a basic right of American citizenship under the Constitution.” The government cannot forbid this from happening. Allowing only a certain group of people to marry is discrimination. As time moves forward, Americans become more accepting of new norms; homosexuality is one of them. Forcing them to hide and cover up who they are is forcing them to look at life through a mask. Now is the time to accept and embrace gays and lesbians. The United States of America strives to uphold the appearance of equality and freedom so if one group cannot marry then no one should be able to marry.
Constitutional laws and religious rules should not be mixed together. The government can’t start making laws because of religion. If all religious rules became laws, people could get fined for saying the Lord’s name in vain. The world does not revolve around religion. What about insurance benefits? And making medical decisions? Marriage enables couples to share insurance benefits along with joint ownership of property. Should this not be allowed because a person loves someone of the same sex?
Let’s say in a homosexual couple, one of them is in a tragic car accident. They are unconscious and the spouse needs to make a decision about the surgery. Because there are no legal papers proving the marriage, the doctor will have no way of knowing about their spouse. A man and a woman when living together in marriage has duel income and can share all of the finances. Owning a house is almost impossible without the help from another person.

Denying marriage to a homosexual couple is no different than denying marriage to a Hispanic or African American couple, either way it is discrimination. Who is gay marriage hurting? No one. Gay marriage should be looked at as an advantage to the world. They can’t reproduce themselves so they can adopt and help save the millions of children in the world without a family.

AIDS: Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. Several people relate homosexuality with this sexually transmitted disease but in reality, there is no longer any direct relationship. STDs come from careless people who have unprotected sex with multiple partners. Whether it is a man and a woman, a woman and a woman, or a man and a man, does not make a difference.

A family member of mine came out as homosexual. Seeing them go through struggles, people’s harsh stares and nasty comments drove me crazy. He is still the same person. The United States of America needs to realize this as well. Marriage should be about love. It should not be an image of the perfect husband and wife.