The Dark Secrets Behind The Glamorous World of Fashion | Teen Ink

The Dark Secrets Behind The Glamorous World of Fashion

By TessD. SILVER, Lewes, Delaware
TessD. SILVER, Lewes, Delaware

"Be yourself no matter what anyone else thinks"

A topic of discussion that’s been around since the beginning of time is, models and their effect on women. For years, society believed the genetically blessed stick thin females strutting down runways are the only accepted figure. Body image researcher Sarah Muren exclaims, “the promotion of the thin, sexy ideal in our culture has created a situation where the majority of girls and women don’t like their bodies” (Hellmich). As a result, young adolescents begin to alter their eating habits in hopes of losing weight to look like the model. This can lead to dangerous health effects like developing an eating disorder. The fashion industry needs to take responsibility by promoting healthy models and sending a positive message to girls. In more ways than one, the fashion industry does pressure young women into developing an eating disorder.

The shallow and competitive industry hires underweight models which causes aspiring models and teenage girls to feel as though they must compromise their health in order to be successful (The Thin End). Insecurity can lead girls to develop eating disorders since they feel as though they’re not up to par with the model on a magazine cover. Thankfully, multiple countries around the world have been tightening their hiring requirements (The Thin End). However, a few countries such as Australia aren’t taking the serious issue into consideration (The Thin End). While Milan and Madrid have banned underweight models from the runway completely, Australia is simply asking for weight information from the models, yet not actually applying the “underweight ban” into the hiring process (The Thin End). This doesn’t help the current matter  considering the fact that an insanely thin girl still has the potential of waltzing down the runway.

In addition to the industry influencing teen girls, it also pressures the models to lose weight before a show as well. Before New York Fashion Week, 85 models were surveyed (Eating Disorders Rampant). The results calculated that 62% were asked to lose weight, 54% were threatened to be fired or would never be successful unless they altered their figure, 56% skipped meals, 24% used weight loss supplements, and 8% made themselves vomit (Eating Disorders Rampant). To follow, studies show that eating disorders can lead to health issues like infertility, organ failure, permanent heart damage, and even death (Eating Disorders Rampant). The fashion world is failing to realize its slowing killing its prized possessions. Model Iskra Lawrence, who is also the NEDA ambassador states “I believe diversity and health are important and must be taken seriously, especially during a crucial time like New York Fashion Week. Let’s celebrate those brands, influencers and media outlets who are looking after the well being of models and are conscious of the impact that body image has on everyone” (Eating Disorders Rampant). This quote is quite true because if the models were allowed to enjoy this exciting opportunity, they’d be able to focus on their figure in a positive way, and be able to showcase the healthy side of the industry to aspiring models.

Moreover, the industry doesn’t try to solve the case for women in or outside the business because they don’t even care about the well-being of their models. Dr. Eric Van Furth states “We believe the fashion industry should take responsibility for the health of its models, the way they are presenting their guidelines really shows they are not acknowledging the seriousness of the problem of eating disorders at all” (Doctors Fault Designers). The professionals believe the industry needs to keep their girls in better working conditions as well as monitor if one is developing an eating disorder (Doctors Fault Designers). Since they are not doing so, it can discourage the models, as well as those sitting in the audience at a fashion show. Doctors also believe designers need to hire girls based on the body mass index scale formula (Doctors Fault Designers). The formula takes the girls height then determines a healthy weight for her to be (Doctors Fault Designers). This is important because it could help teenage girls feel confident with the body they were born with since there would be no unnaturally skinny model they could compare themselves with.

At the end of the day, the fierce industry isn’t all fame and fun. The dirty secret behind the designer clothes and high end makeup is that the industry treats its models as puppets instead of people, and that they don’t care if they’re hurting their models by forcing them to lose weight. Moreover, they fail to realize or care that their carelessness sends an even worse message to a larger population. Many beautiful and innocent girls suddenly think they need to starve themselves to be considered pretty. Just remember, people shouldn’t believe everything they see on tv, because everyone is beautiful just the way they are.

Works Cited

“Doctors Fault Designers Stance over Thin Models.” New York Times, 9 Jan. 2007,
      Date accessed 23 May 2018.
            “Eating Disorders Rampant on the Runway; over half of models surveyed said they’d                             
       been asked to lose weight or change their body shape.” Consumer Health News,1Feb.    
       2017.  Date accessed 23 May 2018.
             Hellmich, Nanci. “Do thin models warp girls body image?”
                    USA Today, 26 Sept. 2006,Student Resources In Context,
                    Date accessed 21 May 2018.
            “The Thin End of the wedge.” Age, Student Resources In Context.
                    Date accessed 23 May 2018.

In my writing course, the class was assigned to write a research Paper about a topic of our choice. I chose a subject that was both relevant, and that I was very interested in as well as passionate about.

i hope you enjoy, and are inspired!