The Flaw in the Law | Teen Ink

The Flaw in the Law

By Hunter67 BRONZE, Trout Run, Pennsylvania
Hunter67 BRONZE, Trout Run, Pennsylvania

There are police officers everywhere. At the store, at the red light, or even at your home. There is a growing number of excessive violence coming from the many corrupt officers to the innocent among us. Police should be a sign of safety, not of danger. Men and women, young and old, guilty and innocent, all being treated unfairly. We shouldn't have to walk the streets in fear of dying. We need to put this evil to an end.

A young Aiyana Jones was shot and killed in a raid by Detroit Police Department's Special Response Team. She wasn't armed and was still shot by the police. We don't want our children in a world where police shoot first and ask questions later. We don't want them living in fear every second of their lives. We must restrict who can carry a weapon, especially as a police officer. We need to keep prejudice and racism away from the authority of shooting someone suspected as a danger.

You hear people say how they hate the police since they judge by the color of your skin. That shouldn't be the case. The police are meant to be a sign of protection and safety, which I want to be able to see come true. With time, we can keep the police department clean. We could lower or even stop this violence. We can make America safer. If we become stricter with what police can do, less people will be killed. With your help, we can end the sorrow, we can end the death, we can end police brutality.