The Inauguration Drama | Teen Ink

The Inauguration Drama

By anyaaelizabeth BRONZE, North Haledon, New Jersey
anyaaelizabeth BRONZE, North Haledon, New Jersey

"No reality has the power to dispel a dream" -Lemony Snicket

Donald Trump’s Inauguration on January 20, 2017, has caused a lot of drama in the United States. Riots and destruction filled the Washington D.C area as protesters damaged buildings, cars, and other people. Verbal attacks were launched to Trump, his family, and his supporters. There was no need for the violence and hate that people brought during, and after the Inauguration.

Fires burned just two blocks from the White House. Rioters vandalized vehicles. They destroyed windows of buildings. Bricks and rocks were thrown at police. Trump supporters were violently attacked. Barron Trump was the subject of harsh criticism. What does it accomplish? Does it make a difference? Was a line crossed?
Although there are many different opinions on Trump’s election, the demonstrations that were seen on January 20 were too extreme. As an American, we all have a Constitutional right to peaceably assemble. Protesters were proud that they weren’t peaceful. They took pride in damaging buildings and vehicles. However, damaging property does not change the outcome of the election or the continuation of the Inauguration.

If protesters were looking to facilitate change, nothing was accomplished. Their protests didn’t stop Trump from becoming the President. Their violence didn’t harm him, either. The verbal attacks they hurled at him did nothing to stop his Inauguration. As much as the protesters wanted their voices heard, they didn’t need to be ill-mannered. In fact, their behavior took away from the validity of their causes and claims.

Although the measures protesters took do seem quite extreme, social media has enabled attacks to go even further. In this day and age, anti-bullying campaigns are implemented to reduce child-to-child bullying. However, the social media attacks on Barron Trump were not child-to-child. Adults were bullying a ten-year-old child. Just because you disagree with Trump’s policies and opinions, does not mean that you need to attack his ten-year-old son. Comments made by Matt Oswalt that Barron Trump is “wandering around the White House looking for something to burn,” is nothing but unnecessary. Katie Rich’s commented that Barron Trump will be “this country’s first homeschool shooter.” Comments like this are completely inappropriate things to say about a ten-year-old child. Many take issue with Donald Trump’s “vulgar insults.” However, aren’t the people who are appalled by his insults dishing out their own to a child? What offensive things has Barron Trump said to them? Bullying a child is not acceptable, no matter if you agree with their father or not.

The forty-fifth President of the United States was sworn in on January 20, 2017, despite the cries and immaturity of protesters. So the lesson we can learn? It doesn’t matter how loud, destructive, or ill-mannered you are, you will not always get what you want. Your desired outcome will not always come because of rioting. Regardless of your stance on Trump, it is hard to disagree that it is completely unacceptable to destroy property and bully children.

This article focuses on the extreme measures taken during, and after, Trump's Inauguration