The Gender Factor | Teen Ink

The Gender Factor MAG

By David.Oberteniak DIAMOND, Newton, Kansas
David.Oberteniak DIAMOND, Newton, Kansas

Maximilien Robespierre once said, “The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant.” This is one of the reasons why I try to be as politically informed as possible. Although I know that political parties have changed in the past 100 years and may change drastically in my lifetime, I can’t imagine ever voting for someone who believes that women shouldn’t have reproductive rights or that gay people shouldn’t be allowed to get married.

Although I support Senator Bernie Sanders as a Democrat in a vastly Republican state, I often get asked if I would vote for Secretary Hillary Clinton if she wins the nomination. Yes, I tell them. Usually, people say something like, “Why? She’s a liar,” or more often, “But she’s a [insert any misogynistic four-letter word here].” This is why I would vote for Clinton.

Men do not get called “ugly” when they have a political opinion that differs from yours. On both sides I have heard people say, “We can’t have someone who looks like that running the country,” meaning both Secretary Clinton and, previously, Carly Fiorina. Really? We’ve had 44 male presidents, and I don’t recall hearing that their appearance was a factor, despite the fact that the majority of them were none too good looking – ’though, (B)Abe Lincoln was considered quite the looker in the 1800s.

Occasionally, I get asked, “Would you vote for a candidate just because she’s a woman?” and once again, my answer is yes. There has not been one woman president in the 200-plus years of the United States of America. Does this not reek of injustice? Women were only given the right to vote 96 years ago, and that right was grotesquely contested then, and for years after. Women were told to stay at home, that they needed a man to provide for them – to think for them – and that they were not equal to men.

Sadly, many of those ideas still exist today. Today, women still don’t get paid as much as men do for the same work. Today, women still get told to “cover up”; we teach girls to be afraid instead of teaching boys not to rape. This sexism has gone on for far too long, and I believe a woman president would help put an end to it.

on May. 10 2016 at 11:58 am
I am absolutely in support of people defiling confederate monuments. We are clearly not going to agree on this issue.

on May. 10 2016 at 11:19 am
@JaseCauli with all due respect, your comment seems to reek of ignorance. Secretary Clinton did not say, "What difference does it make?" about the soldiers dying; she said it didn't make a difference whether or not they died as a result of the protests going on, or a deliberate terrorist attack. It turned out to be the latter, but her comment is taken out of context so often it is impossible not to say that there is a witch hunt out for Secretary Clinton. In fact, House majority leader Kevin Mccarthy, [R, Cal.] was quoted on Fox News as saying:“Everybody thought Hillary Clinton was unbeatable, right? But we put together a Benghazi special committee, a select committee. What are her numbers today? Her numbers are dropping. Why? Because she’s untrustable. But no one would have known any of that had happened, had we not fought.”

on Apr. 20 2016 at 11:29 am
Yes, I wrote the second half as an opinion, as I intended it to be a political opinion piece. While I would much rather have Bernie Sanders as the Democratic nominee, I would still vote for Hillary; Sanders and Clinton agree on issues more than 80% of the time, whereas Trump or Cruz hardly agree with Sanders policies. We are in an election cycle where no moderates have a chance. About Hillary's emails- there were no laws that restricted personal email account usage during her tenure. It was only recommended, after Clinton had left the state department, that employees use only their work emails. Aside from her email, Clinton still has a lot of policies I agree with. A woman's right to have an abortion, Gun control reform, a minimum wage raise, and investments into clean energy.

on Mar. 24 2016 at 8:39 am
jules_esee BRONZE, Virginia Beach, Virginia
I'll start my comment by complimenting you. Your writing is concise and altogether flows. However your article reeks of ignorance. As a female who proudly declares to be a feminist: Hilary Clinton is the last person I would want to be president. Hilary Clinton may be a woman but she is not a feminist. I'm not sure how much Clinton values any human life; have we all forgotten what she said about Benghazi? I won't vote for Hillary not because she is woman, but because she sets an unmoral example for other women.

HailToTheStud SILVER, West Haven, Utah

"To be successful as a man is to make more money than your significant other can spend. To be successful as a woman is to find such a man."
"Trial is putting your life in the hands of 12 people that weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty"

My input is this. I think the whole appearance thing is ridiculous and has no place in this article whatsoever. Another thing, if you'd like to get support, quit the feminism and find facts. The reason that women dont get paid as much is that a woman is more likely to go into a low-paying (in general) position such as a dance teacher. Otherwise the Equal Pay Act of 1963 would be enforced. Another part of this is that you are complaining about things that happened years ago, which I would relate to people defiling Confederate monuments. And if you think for one second that we dont teach boys to not rape girls, you're lying to yourself. And its not a matter of rape in most cases, usually it's the fact that guys do tend to get, -ahem-, distracted. If feminism wasn't so ridiculous, I'd support it.

Julia said...
I am discouraged by your article. While it was witty and well written, the second half seems to be less informed and more opinonated. Forgive me if you think I'm wrong. What my question for you as a citizen of a country that believes in justice and freedom, why would you vote for a felon? Someone who is under investigation? Your vote for Bernie Sanders I respect because it is based on beliefs and he has not already proved to be distrustful, such as Mrs. Clinton. What draws you in? Because currently I am still struggling to get over the confidential emails, the lack of actual improvement in her term of Secretary of State, and of course Benghazi. So please honestly inform me. I truly want to understand your perspective besides the fact she is a woman. However I do compliment you on your skill of writing.