Media Tycoons: The Good, The Bad, and The Propaganda | Teen Ink

Media Tycoons: The Good, The Bad, and The Propaganda

November 28, 2015
By alannamarie77 SILVER, Brampton, Other
alannamarie77 SILVER, Brampton, Other
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Large media corporations are known to morph the truth and portray propaganda about important events to the public, whereas alternative media sources may be the key to uncovering the truth rather than being told what one might want to hear. These media tycoons became well-known for selling people information that will arouse their interests, yet conceal the truth. There are hundreds of journals, newspaper articles, letters, videos, and documents circulating the world on the topic of 9/11, yet the majority of the population is only aware of those produced by large corporations such as Fox News, The New York Times, and CNN News. These are three prime examples of sources that one may not be able to trust. It’s the articles one must want to find, in order to be able to find, that actually matter.


The brutal attacks on famous American monuments by the al-Qaeda known as 9/11 have definitely become one of the most controversial topics in today’s society. There are many conspiracy theories surrounding the topic. American news companies tend to take over the media landscape with their theories surrounding the events leading up to, during, and after 9/11. Due to their high status and wealth, civilians choose to believe the information they are being fed. No one seems to care enough to dig deep and find out what really happened in September 2011. People will believe anything they are told, including that all Islamic citizens are ‘evil’, as that is how they are being portrayed through the media.


American companies are biased on the subject of 9/11 as there is no way an American news corporation would consider America to be at fault in the slightest. The only way to get real and truthful answers would be to look into alternative media sources, possibly from other countries. In a letter to the editor of “The Wall Street Journal”, Paul Kennedy discusses why Palestinians have a strong hatred or rather, dislike, for America and its citizens. “[We] have moved on to other assumptions – about human rights, democracy, respect for other viewpoints: and we got to assume that these should be universally held. But they are not. In many societies our values are unpopular.” This viewpoint is definitely controversial to the everyday ‘terrorists are evil, America is great’ babble one might hear.


Smaller media sources prefer to focus on recalling events rather than creating a scenario or storyline that will make money. There is no ‘good vs. evil’ as CBC News suggested in their 9/11 news story. There are two separate entities that both committed wrong doings. In the article ‘Reflections on 9/11’ written by Noam Chomsky he explains how the 9/11 attacks are essentially traced back to Americans through the ‘Afghan trap’. In 1979, President Jimmy Carter’s National Security Advisor, Zbigniew Brzezinski, instigated “secret support for Mujahidin fighting against the government of Afghanistan in an effort to draw the Russians into what he called an ‘Afghan trap’”. They did in fact fall into said trap, resulting in military forces being sent in to protect the people. An army was created with Islam civilians descending mainly from Afghanistan. This army was graced by the presence of bin Laden in the year 1980 when the mercenary army went on to invade Russian territory. This is when the tables turned. The army began to create their own point of view on their way of life and turned on their biggest supporter, America. “It is rooted in no small measure in U.S politics is evident and constantly articulated to those willing to listen”.


Although listening to the propaganda of major media influences, certain world issues might be important enough for one to turn to alternative media sources to balance out the media landscape.  Although the true recollection of events may never be known for 9/11 and many other important historic events, the must trustworthy sources might be the most difficult to find. What this says about society’s values speaks volumes.