Charlie Hebdo Reaction | Teen Ink

Charlie Hebdo Reaction

By HappyEmeal GOLD, Lahore, Other
HappyEmeal GOLD, Lahore, Other

When life knocks you down, Dhuzzz! Just puzza back up!!!

We have all heard about the recent Charlie Hebdo controversy and it has been bothering me for quite some time so i decided to write about it.

The magazine cover had a caricature of the Prophet Muhammad (may peace be upon him), with the caption "je suis Charlie" or "I am Charlie". An attack was held at the Charlie Hebdo offices, which killed 12 people.

Now, to clarify a few problems. It is forbidden in Islam to create pictures or cartoons of any prophet or God. It is not allowed, has been specifically mentioned in their holy book and the if someone does so, they are punished accordingly. Now, if we believe in religious tolerance, I think it is wrong to do anything that could hurt someone, especially if it is related to their religion, culture or race. If we believe in peace and tolerance, we should respect others religions, whether they are Muslims, Christians, Jews, Buddhists or Hindus. We must respect their religion and not intentionally do something that would hurt them.

If we consider our morals to be important, I believe it was wrong of the magazine to print such a cover that they knew would upset millions of Muslims worldwide. They knew it would anger Muslims, they knew some sort of action would be taken against them, so why print such a cover? If they took the decision to print such a cover, and hurt the feelings of millions, they should have expected some sort of reaction and not made much of a fuss about the reaction of people.

There are many people who are now boycotting the magazine, and if sales really do matter to the publishing team and the company, they wouldn't have printed sucha ccontroversial front cover. If you take an action, are aware of the circumstances, you should not complain or oppose to the reaction received.

Having said that, according to Islam, if a non-Muslim commits a crime such as this, they are to punished according to their religion. If a Muslim were to make the cover, he would be hung. But the case is slightly different here.

The counter Charlie Hebdo has to the strikes and demonstrations is that everyone has the freedom of speech and may express their views. But do they not realize that there are other important rights that must be considered before you use this as a counter? Muslims are in a minority in France; Christianity being the major religion. So is Charlie Hebdo trying to say that minority rights are not ever considered in France? Is that not immoral? That is not fair. If Muslim majority areas protect the rights of minor religions in that area, should the same not be done for Muslims when they are a minority? Yes, there is freedom of speech but you have not been given the right to use it as an advantage and hurt others. You do not have the freedom to hurt or anger others intentionally. Hurting one person is bad enough, so you can imagine the intensity when an entire society has been angered and disrespected.

Islam does not allow its people to make fun of or disrespect other religions. It has strictly been forbidden. So why do groups of people take this to their advantageand disrespect Islam, when they know that their religion/s will not be attacked as a result.

If you do not wish to believe what Muslim communities have to say about this, catholics may refer to Pope Francis who has also criticized Charlie Hebdo for this. Refer to your own scholars, do some research before saying that the reaction of al-Qaeda was not fair.

Every religion teaches the same message: peace. How are you following your religion of you disrespect others?
What al-Qaeda has done was extremism, but they only reacted in a brutal way because Charlie Hebdo had brutally hurt the feelings of millions. Murder is never justified, but if you hurt someone's feelings intentionally, don't expect them to sit around sipping tea.

I had been deeply offended by the magazine, and it hurt my feelings. Islam is not about killing or murder, it is only sad people refer to terrorist as Muslims. But if you do something that will get you into trouble, and you know it will, don't start worrying about it later. They made a terrible mistake, and must face the consequences now. I do not support the magazine, and I only hope matters become better because we are all forgetting one thing: peace and tolerance.

DjakobUnchained SILVER, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire" Winston Churchill

If an Iraqi burned an American flag I would not want him to die or even to be arrested. Even Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has condemned the attack on Charlie Hebdo.

I wrote "The you know who killed people for their words?" I meant to say "Do you know who killed people for their words?" Sorry.

I see it from both sides. I think that if Muslims are offended, they should protest the paper. They should write letters and papers and newspaper articles about how Islam is not a religion of violence. They should as many Muslim groups have, use their Freedom of Speech to refute Charlie Hebdo's commentary on their religion. I agree with all peoples peacefully coming together to have a legitimate debate so that we can advance as a people. I do not agree however that anyone, anyone, has the right to murder people for speaking their minds. How can you possibly not see how inherently evil that is? The you know who killed people for their words? Saddam Hussein. Adolf Hitler. Josef Stalin. And do you know why there are those who blame all Muslims for the actions of a few? Because other Muslims like you defend their actions. I just don't get why you can't see the false equivalency between words and actions.

on Jan. 26 2015 at 6:54 am
HappyEmeal GOLD, Lahore, Other

You are thick and it is pointless to argue with a person who just will not look at both sides of a story. You do not wish to learn about others or their religions or race or creed or whatever. I am not against any Christian, I was only using the religion as an example. It is not my job to teach you what is right or what is wrong. I believe you are such a person who has difficulty understanding things.

Stop making excuses for extremists. Charlie Hebdo is not a Christian paper making fun of Muslims it is a secular paper making fun of lunatics who murder because of their fantasy books. Oh and the most recent issue of Charlie Hebdo was their highest selling yet so keep up your protests against speech because your making the fallen writers into martyrs.