Je Suis Charlie...Or Not | Teen Ink

Je Suis Charlie...Or Not

By lenagurrl BRONZE, FRESNO, California
lenagurrl BRONZE, FRESNO, California

"Nah" -Rosa Parks

Unless you're not one to keep up with Twitter, or Instagram...or the news, then you've probably heard of Charlie Hebdo and the attacks recently in Paris. If not, I'll quickly fill you in.

A satirical magazine company, named Charlie Hebdo was recently attacked by two brothers, both of which were devoted Muslims, and were very much offended by the caricatures the magazine published depicting their prophet, Muhammad. They invaded the building, and shot and killed twelve of the editorial cartoonists, after which they held hostages in Jewish kosher stores, and printing firms. After an eight hour standoff, police successfully shot and killed the two gunmen. For the past few days, much of the population in France and around the world have been parading the slogan "Je Suis Charlie", which in French translates to "I Am Charlie", as a way to pay homage to those who lost their lives, and proclaim that we all have our rights to freedom of speech. 

The conversations circling around me now are that the killing of the cartoonists was unjust and without reason. While, I agree that the killing was probably excessive, the reason behind the attacks was not surprising in the slightest.

Satirical editorialists live everyday knowing that the things they publish could possibly offend individuals. They also live knowing the possible outcomes of publishing such contentious pieces. With all due respect to the cartoonists, this was something that was headed for them since 1960. Charlie Hebdo magazine is the successor to Hara-Kiri, another satirical magazine that was banned for mocking the death of former French President Charles de Gaulle. The name of the Charlie Hebdo is even an inside joke that has to with the late Charles. After publication had ceased in 1981, and reemerged in 1992, this magazine has fallen victim to multiple controversial cases.

In 2006, many Muslim men and women marched (Much like the people of France did a few days ago) protesting the magazine. They were upset with the drawings of their prophet and marched to ban the magazine. Later, in 2011, the magazine buildings were fire-bombed after releasing a drawing depicting Muhammad stating in a speech bubble, "100 lashes if you don't die of laughter!" Even if one could "take a joke" wouldn't you be slightly offended by the blatant disregard for your religion?

I don't necessarily sympathize with any of the cartoonists that work for Charlie Hebdo. Even though I can take a joke and "have a backbone" (Believe me, I laugh at a lot of controversial topics) as a human being, you do not disrespect another's culture, religion, or anything they highly respect. There are lines, and you can't cross them. Not without consequences. There just comes a point where things stop being funny. Not everyone will take things to the extent that these two brothers did. I am very much aware of that. I'm just amazed that there are people around the world who are surprised that someone retaliated to this. If someone carelessly disrespected you or something you stood for, wouldn't you care?

Je ne suis pas Charlie. Je ne peux pas être.

I'm not heartless, however, I'm also not sentimental. Remember that. I hope someone will at least see this entire situation in a different light. I don't find murder and assassinations to be okay. They aren't. They're illegal...well for a reason. But I'm also not condemning these two for defending their beliefs.

on Jan. 26 2015 at 9:22 am
HappyEmeal GOLD, Lahore, Other

When life knocks you down, Dhuzzz! Just puzza back up!!!

I absolutely agree with you, not just because I am Muslim, but because of various other reasons. I only wish other people could understand this and stop fighting over an issue that they cannot resolve. And I believe that the magazine only provoked al-Qaeda and should have expected some sort of attack.