Gun Control Won't Control | Teen Ink

Gun Control Won't Control

By KenziHalia BRONZE, Corvallis, Oregon
KenziHalia BRONZE, Corvallis, Oregon

Gun Control Won’t Control

Guns aren’t bad. When was the last time you heard of a gun pulling its own trigger and shooting something or someone by itself? The truth is, the guns aren’t the things that kill people, the person pulling the trigger does. Many gun control activists say that if stricter laws were in place, it would have prevented the Newtown, Connecticut shooting (Farago). My opinion is that removing guns from the home of the shooter would not have prevented this awful crime. The police in Newton reported that the shooter was mentally unstable, which heavily contributed to his motivation for the shooting. I strongly feel that more gun control laws in the future will not solve the problems we as a society are facing today.

Guns provide appropriate recreation and entertainment for many people around the world. When properly used and registered, they can provide their owners hours of well-spent time. Many gun holders target shoot in well-protected and legal areas. For example, the Albany Rifle and Pistol Club provides well sheltered areas to target shoot without endangering any of their patrons or the surrounding area (Range Rules). I myself have a registered gun, and use it to target shoot. I would not dream of using it in ways other than this, it is just there to be used for safe recreation.

Secondly, guns in the hands of responsible citizens can be used for the defense of themselves or family. “A 1994 survey conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that Americans use guns to frighten away intruders who are breaking into their homes about 498,000 times per year."(Agresti). This study did not include the incidences that police and other law enforcement officers used guns to protect themselves or others who were in danger (Ibid). Many people who own guns do not even use them recreationally. They are strictly reserved for self-defense, only a go-to during times of emergency.

In addition, gun control will not prevent crimes like the tragic Sandy Hook Elementary shooting. The shooter, Adam Lanza had “Significant mental health issues that affected his ability to live a normal life and to interact with others, even those to whom he should have been close” (Sedensky, 7). Although Lanza used a gun as a weapon, several witness testified that he was already obsessed with mass murders and violence. I believe that even if his access to guns had been restricted, he still would have managed to find a weapon. If gun control laws are imposed, criminals will just get their firearms from illegal sources, and the government will have a harder time managing the distribution of weapons.

Finally, gun control laws and regulations are in direct violation of our rights stated in the second amendment to the US Constitution (U.S Const. amend. II). It states, “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed” (Ibid). This is extremely straightforward in proclaiming that our rights to own and use firearms are to be protected, not challenged. Several cases have been presented to the Supreme Court based upon this issue, and all have won in favor of maintaining the second amendment. Yet gun control activists continue to force their “alternate and mutually exclusive idea… that the amendment protects only a state power (a so-called “collective right”) to maintain a militia” (The Second Amendment Fact Sheet). This is directly contradicted by the Supreme Court, which also ruled that the second amendment protects the “individual right to posses and carry weapons in case of confrontation” (Ibid).

Overall, I believe that gun control laws are not the the solution to school shootings happening around the world. It will not deter crime; only make the crimes that are committed more heinous. They will take away the rights of people stated in the second amendment, and deny methods of self-defense to those who need it the most. So, if you feel strongly against gun control, I would encourage you to do something about it, for your rights 00.hang in the balance.

I hope people will realize the importance of firearms for recreational purposes. I hope they understand that taking away guns isn't going to stop the horrific school shootings permanently.

BHirsh said...
*clap-clap-clap-clap* Nice job, Kensi. Nice job, indeed!