Why America Needs Nasa | Teen Ink

Why America Needs Nasa

December 4, 2013
By Kukolulo BRONZE, Valdese, North Carolina
Kukolulo BRONZE, Valdese, North Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
‘Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,’ he told me,
‘just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had
the advantages that you’ve had.’ - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby


On July 20th, 1969 America beat all odds and did what many thought impossible. We put a man on the moon. Doing so the United States made up for being beaten to over all space by the Soviet Union in 1961. We achieved so much in the last five decades in our space program named NASA(National Aeronautics and Space Administration). We sent out dozens of satellites and robotic probes to various places in our solar system. We even created Hubble telescope so we can observe solar systems all over space. Unfortunately NASA has ended all shuttle missions as of 2011. NASA did this because they can't afford to have the old space shuttles and work on the new ones. If anyone has been following recent news they probably have heard about China sending a probe to the moon for gathering scientific data and studying the moon's geographic features. This I think can be a reminder that America desperately needs a space program. If we don't buckle down and get to work then other countries are going to start catching up to our achievements and we'll end up left in the dust. This short article is just a reminder that we need to keep digging and getting better otherwise we won't be number one on anything to do with space anymore. Hopefully this will be something fixed in the future.


The author's comments:
I was inspired to write this when I watched the CNN student news report in my English class a couple days ago. I know that technically NASA hasn't quit working in fact are trying to figure out ways to have aircraft that can land on asteroids. But as for now we aren't making Progress.