Deadly Snake? Maybe Not | Teen Ink

Deadly Snake? Maybe Not

By Cait13 BRONZE, Toronto, Other
Cait13 BRONZE, Toronto, Other

On Monday August 5th, 2013 two brothers, Noah Barthe, age 4, and Conner Barthe, age 6, were found dead in an apartment above Reptile Ocean, a pet store, in Campbellton, New Brunswick. The brothers were at a sleepover with their friend, the son of Reptile Ocean’s owner, Jean-Claude Savoie. How did they die? The police and RMCP released on the day of the incident, to the media, that the brothers were constricted by an African Rock Python that had escaped his cage. The autopsy, that results are now available to the media, says similar information. And that could have happened but it sounds a bit strange to me.
"Generally, it will only attack something he can swallow. It will not kill for nothing" said Michel Leblanc, a snake expert, during a telephone interview.
A python can be aggressive but will usually only bite if, one, it smells food or, two, they feel scared or threatened. Pythons bite its victim before constricting it (killing it), which they have to do because it is not venomous. A fun fact is that pythons only eat once every 10 days to two weeks. In addition, this specific python was about 4.5 meters long and approximately 45 kg. Furthermore, an African Rock Python is illegal in New Brunswick. Interesting, isn’t it?
"It is illegal for anyone to keep any exotic species that is not listed in the regulation unless they have a permit from the Department of Natural Resources. If such an animal is found, it will be confiscated and the person who possesses the animal can be charged under the Fish and Wildlife Act," said a representative from the Department of Natural Resources.
Reptile Ocean is an exotic pet store that housed animals, such as snakes, turtles, and alligators. When police were searching the facility they found 27 illegal animals, including a few endangered ones. Four of them were large American alligators, which have had to be euthanized due to a lack of interest from local zoos. Although the owner claimed to have a license and to be following all the bylaws, the police found out that the pet store actually was unlicensed and the last permit expired in 2001. The police also found several dead animals in the freezer. These dead animals included Fly River turtles, reticulated pythons and a yellow anaconda. On top of this, there was a wall-mounted trophy of a hawksbill sea turtle, which is a protected species. Although the owner claimed to have a license and to be following all the bylaws, the police found out that the pet store actually was unlicensed and the last permit expired in 2001. Over all, I believe that the upkeep, that was poor and lacked care, has something to do with the incident, don’t you?
Officials assume that the python escaped its cage through a hole where a fan had been removed. After escaping, the snake slithered through the air ducts and fell into the room where the two brothers were sleeping and constricted them. But this does not all add up. First of all, a 100 pound snake falling from the celling? You would think that someone would have heard it and woken up. Next, if a snake bit me, I would have woken up and screamed, wouldn’t you? Also, there was no bite marks or bruises on either of the brothers, which is a bit strange. Lastly, it is just not a snake’s nature to kill humans, especially when they aren’t bothering them.
I can see why they see the snake as a possibility but I can’t see why, to them, it is the only possibility. There is just as much evidence, if not more, saying that the snake did not do it as there is saying the snake did do it. Also, the snake should not have been put down but, instead, offered to zoos. Even though the python could have possibly killed two brothers, a zoo should have enclosures for their animals so that they don’t escape, thus preventing it from happening again. Over all, I really believe that the police should look into the idea of it not being the snake. But at least they are charging the pet store owner for criminal negligence.

I wrote this piece after discussing this issue at day camp (it was a vet camp). I understand if you disagree. If you are unaware of this current event, I suggest searching it up online because it is quite interesting. I hope you enjoy this article and please give your feedback. :-)