Gun Control | Teen Ink

Gun Control

April 26, 2013
By elizebethhill BRONZE, Cottondale, Alabama
elizebethhill BRONZE, Cottondale, Alabama
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Editorial: Gun Control

February 3, 2012 there was a birthday party at a friend’s apartment, just a few friends over to celebrate. In less than a minute our lives were changed forever. Two guys burst in and began shooting. At the end five people were shot all of which were close friends or family. One of the victims is now paralyzed from the waist down. The others spent weeks in the hospital. One of them saved me by stepping in front of my while the gun was pointed at me. The scene was unbearable, blood from my friends and family on the walls and in the carpet. They were laying there motionless.

If we didn’t have guns the shootings wouldn’t happen, wrong!

July 29, 1999 Mark Orrin Barton murdered his wife and two kids with a hammer, then proceeded to shoot up two Atlanta day trading firms. He killed 12 people and injured another 13 before he killed himself.

In that instance he used a hammer a very cruel way to murder someone because you have to be close and personal with the victims.

We should limit the number of bullets a clip can hold, require background checks before we are able to buy guns. This would stop criminals from getting guns. Criminals are criminals for a reason they do not obey the law nor do they care what the law says they shall do.

In 2007 Seung-Ho Cho, a college student shot and killed 32 people at Virginia Tech. He had no problem breezing through background checks due to a hu8man error. He had been judged mentally ill but it was never entered in the database. Therefore, he was free to buy guns.

On April 20,1999 Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 12 students and one teacher while injuring another 21 others during at the Columbine school shooting. The two boys then committed suicide.

James Eagon Holmes entered a movie theatre on July 20, 2012 in Aurora, Colorado and set of tear gas grenades and began shooting into the audience. He killed 12 people and injured 58 others before he was arrested.

According to the Columbus Dispatch more people are killed by being beaten than with guns.

I was a victim of gun violence and yet I am here to say that it is not the guns fault. It is the people who have the guns. Our right to bear arms is stated and protected in the Constitution. It is the second amendment. We can try to do this and to do that to try and prevent things from going wrong. Criminals will not obey these laws, it will be the law abiding citizens. Then when the time comes for us to protect ourselves we cant because our protection was taking away.

We want our streets, schools, neighborhoods, and families to be safer, so ask your selves why are we trying to take away the protection to do so.